[ddots-l] Re: Troubled Times and Opportunities

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:38:59 -0400

Jay, I'd love an archive of those lesson materials. I have tons of similar things I can offer in trade... far too much for one lifetime's study. LOL
Email me off-list if you want.
Chris
also teaching online via Zoom.

At 01:11 PM 3/23/2020, you wrote:

Hey Folks,

First, I teach guitar at Palen Music store here in Columbia Missouri. Due to the whole corona ordeal, we aren't doing lessons at the store for a while, so all of us teachers are having to do lessons online, or temporarily suspend student accounts until this thing calms down, which means we lose money.

I have all these audio guitar lessons that I got from a third party about 15 years ago. The company that produced them mostly doesn't do anything now but video. In fact, all these lessons I have on CD and downloaded to my hard drive aren't even being sold anymore, they are not even supported by that third party company at all.

The cool thing is that I can send the MP3 files to my students, and each MP3 has an accompanying PDF that goes with them.

I have hundreds of these things, A different library for blues, rock, jazz, country, and acoustic finger style, slide lessons, the works! Everything from Joe Pass to Jimi Hendrix to Merle Travis!

The PDF files help with my teaching in that I can provide visual material to my students.

I'm not selling these things, not at all, but I would be happy to share them with any of you that are interested.

Second, when Bill mentioned the amazing slowdowner ap, it made me think of Transcribe. Are any of you familiar with Transcribe? For those that don't know what it is, Transcribe is a product that runs on your computer and allows you to pull in MP3 and wav files and slow them down in playback so you can learn the music. It is amazing! I can mark a section, even if its only one note I want to isolate, and then loop it over and over at extremely slow speeds without pitch change.

And to date, I have never found Transcribe to have any accessibility problems, it is wonderful! It does more than what I've described though.

So, what I can do is take any of these MP3 lesson files, and load them into Transcribe, and slow them down and learn licks exactly as performed.

I don't think Transcribe will allow Apple formats, but with Sonar, I can just record a song direct off my iPhone, then save it as an MP3 and then import it into Transcribe.

I don't know how much Transcribe costs now days, but I think I paid around 40 bucks or so about 6 years ago.

Let me know if any of you are interested in the guitar lesson files, no charge.

Living love, loving life,

Jay Pilkington

PLEASE READ THIS FOOTER AT LEAST ONCE!
To leave the list, click on the immediately following link:
If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and in the Subject line type
ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq or
and in the Subject line type