[ddots-l] Train Your Ears software: a response

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:18:51 -0400

The folks at www.TrainYourEars.com got back to me really quickly, and on a weekend too!

They have offered me a refund, but also generated a time limited license code so I can try out the program to see if Jaws will work with it at all.

They provided some more information about the program's interface which I have pasted below.

Once you run the software, there is a screen asking for the License Key. There are two buttons too, labeled "online" and "offline". Enter the License Key and click on "online" or ask somebody to do so. You only have to do that once.

The software has four tabs. The tabs are in the bottom of the window. If you can get to the second tab, the player tab, you have a button text which reads "add folder" or "add file" so you can add files to use as source. Then you just have to push "space" and it will play.

Then you should go to the fourth tab, the training tab. There there are two buttons, but they are images. Those buttons are "Start/Listen Again" and "Solution/reset". If you get to click those buttons you will hear the random eq. Normal users will click in the frequency they think it was sounding, but that is not necessary.
Simply think your answer in your head and click on "solution".
Then, to know if you were right or wrong, there are numbers which indicate the percentage of your answer. The first number is the total percentage since you started and the second one is the last answer percentage, so if you hear "100%" then you were right and if you hear something like "20%" then you were wrong. There are two text buttons labeled "L All". You can use those to compare between the solution and your answer. Then click on "reset" to and you can start a new riddle.