[ddots-l] Train Your Ears Software

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:21:10 -0400

This won't be as useful to those who already know about the excellent Golden Ears series of CD's from Moulton Labs, which is still one of the best ways we have to learn to recognize EQ changes, gain changes, etc.

http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01

But, there's a new company in Europe developing software to interactively help audio guys train our ears. The program takes source audio of your choice, and manipulates it various ways to test you. They've created a user forum as well, so people can develop and share their own sets of drills. It is this community and colaboration aspect that most interests me. So far, they've only released a version that tests your abilities using equalization adjustments.
The program only costs 29 Euro.
That's the interesting part.

Here's the bad part!

I bought a copy, and unfortunately, it is 100% invisible to Jaws! We're not talking unlabeled graphics here, but absolutely nothing. blank blank blank.

I was about to give up on this entirely until I played with the OCR function in Jaws 13 Beta last night. Using that, I was able to copy and paste my license key and then click the register button on the initial screen that comes up on program launch. On the next screen, I was able to find the playback tab and click on it.

But, that's where things fall flat. According to the software makers, the next screen contains a load file or load folder button that you use to bring audio into the program. This button's image has text that the OCR can't pick up clearly enough, so that's where things fall apart. Can't load audio, can't proceed.

But, it's better than things were a week ago, with entirely invisible seeingly blank screens.

I have asked the company what tools they used to make the program, although me not being a programmer, I'm not sure what I can tell them once they get back to me.

Still though, since they're new on the scene and have many more editions of their program planned, to test other audio manipulations - compression, delay time, phaze, etc. we should perhaps make them more aware of our needs at this point. They so far have one tiny program released, the EQ edition, and it's at version 1.0. So perhaps they would still be open to dialogue on accessibility.

Their Website is:
http://www.trainyourears.com/

At 29 Euro, maybe more blind folks would be interested in this, if we can get anywhere with them on the user interface.

Chris