[ddots-l] Third Audio Mix with Sonar/CakeTalking

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:30:38 -0400

Hi folks.

Well, I'm 3 weeks into the Berkleemusic Online course, The Art of Mixing. This week we covered EQ. We haven't done dynamics processing, reverb/delay, etc. yet, so all I could use for this was equalization, panning, leveling, muting/unmuting, and automating of any of that.

I'm off to youtube to try and find out what professional artist did the official version of this track. It's new country, pretty much pop rock if ya ask me, and sounds pretty darn good!

Anyway, I would love to know what you guys think.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/4xjm68

Is My file. For the sake of comparison, here's the reference mix we were given along with the individual tracks.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/8kj4lj

I love the huge drum sound on the commercial version, and couldn't get mine to do that, no matter what - probably because I couldn't squash the drum kit as a whole.

I like my stronger low end, but I also like the tasteful use of delays on the commercial version.

We were given great-sounding individual tracks to mix, including overheads and room mics for drums, both close and ambiant mics for guitars, etc. 30 mono tracks in all. And, I have no idea where this was recorded, but it was clearly done on top gear by some amazing people, including the players. This isn't my favorite kind of music but wow, it's slick!

Chris