[ddots-l] Sonitus Ping Pong Delay Question

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:25:34 -0500

Hi folks.

I'm trying to set up something with the Sonitus Delay plug-in.
Is it possible, if you have a ping pong delay happening, to have the first delay repeat happen on the opposite side to your original signal? I'll explain below.

I have a rhythm guitar part playing on the left channel only, and I want to ping-pong it back and forth. I want the left and right delays to feed each other, so things go back and forth until the signal degrades or is quiet enough not to be perceptible. This happens at quarter = 158 BPM, with a high frequency shelf to simulate tape delay. So far, I have the tempo right, the high frequency shelf in shape, and the ping ponging happening. My problem is this. I can't get the first delay repeat to happen on the opposite side from the original signal, no matter what I do with the various feedback and mix level controls. Yes, I have unselected the channel linking, so I can set left and right control parameters separately. Still, I can't seem to get it configured how I want.

In other words, I want to hear guitar original on left, first delay repeat on right, second repeat on left, third on right, etc. What I'm getting currently is close to that, but the plug-in seems to insist on putting that first repeat on the same channel as the original signal: guitar on left, then first repeat also on left, then the ping ponging commences.

After an hour of making my brain hurt, I decided to try to do this less elegantly, setting up two busses, a delay on each, panning bus outputs so the first delay happens where I want, and feeding the signal from first delay bus to the second delay bus which, adds its own repeat, and a final send from delay bus 2 back to delay bus 1 would complete my feedback loop.

In the old days, this would be easy to do with a couple delay units and some patch chords, patched into sends on the console.

I've gotten close. The second bus's delay adds another repeat, again panned where I want. Here's where Sonar throws me a curve ball. It absolutely will not let me feed the second delay back into the first, creating a feedback loop.

I can't even set up a third bus to sum the first two delays, and send the third back to the first - Sonar is smart enough to not let me do that, and when I try to insert that final send that creates a loop, the delay busses don't even show up on the list of possible sends. Foiled again! They magically disapear off the list! *LOL*

So, is there some way I can do this in the plug-in itself, or even through aux sends on tracks or busses that I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks for reading, and I hope this was clear enough.
I can make the guitar part available if someone wants to play with it and drive themselves crazy. :)

Chris