[ddots-l] Re: SibSpeak in class

  • From: Vytautas <vytb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MIDI-MAG: Blind folks and their use of MIDI" <MIDI-MAG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "PC audio discussion list. " <Pc-audio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, david ingram <dingram269@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:10:08 -0400

Hello,

Thanks very much for your advice. I think I am convinced now that the only fast and effective ways to grasp all the information in class are simply to enter text and music Braille notes in a word document and take advantage of the Braille display, or else use a voice recorder. And also, thanks, Chris, for the reminder. I should be alert for attempts to make me refer to hand-written texts (grin). Fortunately, now that I know my teachers more or less, I am pretty sure they can send me Sibelius files.

In fact, they asked me if I could find a way to use a possibility that my assistant writes the music from the black board into Sibelius and I could follow the teacher some way while writing the text notes. Evidently, there is a possibility to use a laptop and to change the program when needed to write in Sibelius. Later, I could include the Sibelius files using a kind of hyperlink.

I understand that, from John Sanfilippo's eyes, it is rather unrealistic however much I know about SibSpeaking and Braille music, and I should stick to Chris's suggestion to use my pacmate to directly write in music Braille format in addition to using tape or digital recorder backup (btw, what kind are you suggesting?). In this case, should I insist that my assistant writes in music Braille too, which I feel is not realistic either? In fact, if my college finds somebody that is able to write in Sibelius from the black board, it would not be bad at all, would it?

In summary, I see the only possibility for me to write text using my pacmate in text and music Braille, while my teachers would like me to use Sibelius. The real question is what should I expect from my assistant - notetaker, Braille music or Sibelius files? It seems, that Chris writes from Canada where I am presently living. What are the possibilities that I should find the use of?

Vytautas