[ddots-l] Shure SM57, answers/further questions

  • From: "Brian Kijewski" <sitedblind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:52:22 -0400

Hello:
Yes, I am micing an electric guitar amp. I am using a fender 120W amp. I
have tried all kinds of positions and it is still very muffly. This is
leading me to believe that it has to do with my setup since I bought two
mics and both of them are the same; therefore it isn't a dammaged mic or
something. Is it possible that something in my delta audiophyle sound card
isn't set right or that it is dammaged? Also, it could be my preamp, but
I've tried some other ones and they sound fine. Any help would be greatly
appreciated since I am recordeing a band this week and want to record the
best guitar sound possible for them.
Also, I have always had trouble with clipping when I record. I can record
very quietly and I don't get it, but when I record at a good level, I often
get clipping on various spots. Is there an input level somewhere in my sound
card's software  that may be too high? I am using the audio delta audiophyle
card. Does anyone else use this card and how does it work for you? Also,
maybe I have my preamp too loud? How loud should the signal be coming in
when you record? Should it be at a normal volume, or maybe I should record
everything a bit quieter and then turn up the master volume after everything
is mixed down into a stereo file?
Thanks in advance.

Brian Kijewski