[ddots-l] Quieter UPS?

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 23:03:33 -0500

Hi guys.

Well, the fan just died on my APC brand UPS. The fan makes no sound, and the unit sounds its overload warning, even if I have nothing drawing current from it.

So, while I contact the manufacturer about this, does anybody know if there are quieter UPS's on the market, or quieter replacement fans for them?

Having it switched off has lowered the noise floor drastically in my listening space - the UPS fan was probably generating twice the sound at my desk as the DAW was! I'm shocked and really surprised what I had gotten used to.

I thought before about separating the UPS and computer somehow, but it needs to be connected to a USB port so it can communicate with the monitoring program. Right? Or is that just there for show, and I can tuck this thing around a corner or otherwise out of the way?

Chris