[ddots-l] Re: King of Tone! Now You're Talkin!

  • From: "Mike Christer" <christer.christer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DancingDotz-send a message?" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:37:29 -0000

The KoT is really something else...

I've never heard a pedal that allowed the tone of my Strats to just sing &sparkle so brilliantly!

It doesn't color the sound at all, I just get incredibly smooth overdrive,either in that gorgeous, "just breaking-up" kinda way, (a bit like Bonnie Raitt), or more of a creamier overdrive, ( akin to Scott Henderson or Eric Johnson), that make my guitars literally come alive beneath my fingers! I've found myself playing stuff with the excitement and spontaneity of when I was 17-years old! It's as if its let the tiger out of the cage, believe me, this thing is to die for!

It has internal dip switch settings for clean, overdrive, or distortion, + a small knob for raising the treble content.

With the distortion setting, I started playing like Keith Richards, you kno, that great cranked tone from "Exile On Main Street", or "Brown Sugar", from those legendary Mussle Shoals sessions...

I tried out a Full Drive for a while, I think its great for pushing an
already breaking-up amp over the top, but it doesn't actually have that
great tone built-in?

There's a lot of pedals that sound great at bedroom levels, then when you
'gig' them, you realize that they just get lost in the mix, or just become thin and weedy!
I s'pose that's why so many players favour the TS-808, but for me, it stamps
a horrible, middly tonal fingerprint, all over the guitar, making all those dudes
sound the same...

Another incredible pedal to take a look at is the Wampler Paisley Drive, for
me its very much like the KoT, again, its very transparent, and can give me
all the tonal depth/variation of the Analog Man, I think its one of
the best overdrives available!

As for pricing, the basic price is $235, but 'cause I had a few mods, plus
the shipping to the UK + import duty, it cost me around $400.

And, I had to wait 17-months for it to come!

Here's the link to the KoT page:

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

Oh, & by the way, its got true-bypass!

l8r