[ddots-l] Re: Inquiry: Mackie 1604-vlz Pro mixer

  • From: Bobbi Blood <phantomess666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:15:19 -0600

I think the Firebox is a six in, ten out. I don't remember right off the top of my head, though.

Anyway I figured I'd hook the mixer up to the line ins of the firebox and just connect whatever instruments from there. The latest VLZ, the VLZ 4 I think it is now, with the various channel configurations, now has onyx preamps. The Mackie onyx is not just a mixer but an audio interface as well, and I thought I'd save the extra $700 since I've already an audio interface.

I've got two vocal mics, eight drum mics, a guitar pickup, a Yamaha Motif which can get audio to the computer by either SPDIF or line in, and possibly a tape deck or CD player. While I may not have all this set up at one time, I know that a sixteen channel mixer would be enough for what I have and allow for a little more room without being hugely overkill.

The mixer I was looking at has sixteen onyx preamps, should I ever need them, which can also serve, if my memory serves me correctly, as line level inputs. So if I don't use all of the preamps for mics, I've got plenty of room for line level stuff if I need it.

I figured if I just plug everything into the mixer and send the signal through the firebox's line-ins (Think there are two stereo pairs but don't remember), I'd be set.

Most Sincerely,

Bobbi