[ddots-l] Fwd: [mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Mixing Secrets News -- 27/03/2012

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:50:30 -0400

incidentally, anybody know what the current status of a Friends In Art sponsored mix-off is?

Gord, any news on this?
Chris

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:22:03 +0100 (BST)
From: Mixing Secrets News <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [mixingsecretsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Mixing Secrets News -- 27/03/2012

Welcome the March edition of Mixing Secrets News, keeping you up to date with ongoing developments to the 'Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio' free online mixing resources at http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-intro.htm.

-------------------- NEWS HEADLINES --------------------

* 12 new multitracks added to the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library! * Last month's top ten multitrack downloads. * Full Reaper/Cubase Projects for SOS October 2011 and April 2012 'Mix Rescue' remixes. * Freeware Impulse Responses for Bricasti's M7 Reverb. * New critiques of commercial mixes in 'The Mix Review'.

------------------------- 12 NEW MULTITRACKS!! -------------------------

In my last mail-out I said I had lots of irons in the fire, and I wasn't kidding, because there's a bumper crop of new multitracks this month for you to get your teeth into! Also, following various meetings I had at Frankfurt's Musik Messe, I'm hopeful that the stream of new material will continue to flow just as freely over the coming year... But without further ado, here's a run-down of the new listings:

Three tracks from David Youngs's wonderful debut solo acoustic guitar album 'Transience'. Although two of these aren't 'multitracks' as such, they're still excellent mixing practice because of the incredibly wide range of playing techniques David uses, including complex rhythmic tapping techniques: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#DavidYoungs

A production from classical/electronica artist Giselle's debut album 'Turning Circles' -- lots of interesting synth textures to balance here. More tunes from this album should be coming up in future months too: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Giselle

Andrew Cole's song 'Dead Roses' brings a flavour of country music to this folk/pop artist's sound, and is also graced by a beautifully diaphanous vocal performance from Chantel Upshaw: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AndrewCole

A driving rock track with an undercurrent of improvisational prog, from Massachusetts's The Brew: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#TheBrew

Probably the oddest multitrack we've had so far, but no less wonderful for that: a live multi-miked recording of Jonny Rodgers performing his song 'Glorious' while accompanying himself on a set of water-filled wine-glasses. If you've ever tried to scrape a wine-glass to get a note, it's hard to believe your ears here! So check out the video evidence to dispel your disbelief by following the Telefunken link alongside the listing: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#JonnyRodge rs

Get the opportunity to mix some of Nashville's A-list session names on the acoustic song 'Who I Am' by 'Uncle Dad': http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#UncleDad

The latest multitrack from Brian McTear's Shaking Through project features the lush indie-rock textures of Face On Film's 'Waiting For GA': http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#FacesOnFilm

A while ago writer Barry Wood ran a mix-off competition on Mixoff.org, and I recently noticed that the multitrack files for this have remained live, so even though the contest is now finished you can still enjoy mixing All Hands Lost's emo-rock song 'Ambitions', as well as trawling the competition's forum thread for tips (there's a link to it by the listing): http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AllHandsLost

'Black Out Betty' is a slice of sunny alt-pop/rock from New York band Banned From The Zoo. Look out for a couple more cuts from these guys shortly: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#BannedFromTheZoo

Finally, I've just uploaded the raw multitracks for the Mix Rescue remix featured in the latest issue of Sound On Sound magazine. This is the song 'Sea Of Leaves' by UK indie band Jokers, Jacks & Kings: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#JokersJacksKings

More coming up next month...

-------------------------------------- TOP 10 MULTITRACK DOWNLOADS --------------------------------------

Here's a list of the multitracks that have proved most popular during the last 30 days, according to my web stats:

1: North To Alaska: 'All The Same' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#NorthToAlaska

2: Louis Cressy Band: 'Good Time' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#LouisCressyBand

3: Leaf: 'Come Around' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Leaf

4: Angela Thomas Wade: 'Milk Cow Blues' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AngelaThomasWade

5: Signe Jakobsen: 'What Have You Done To Me' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#SigneJakobsen

6: Arise: 'Run Run Run' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Arise

7: Brian Eno & David Byrne: 'A Secret Life'/'Help Me Somebody' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#BrianEno

8: Hollow Ground: 'Left Blind' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#HollowGround

9: AM Contra: 'Heart Peripheral' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AMContra

10: Blue Lit Moon: 'Dad's Glad' http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#BlueLitMoon

------------------------------------------------------------------------ SOS OCTOBER 2011 & APRIL 2012 'MIX RESCUE' REMIX PROJECTS ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Mix Rescue project uploads this month: the first in response to a direct request from a reader: the Cockos Reaper for my remix of Young Griffo's 'Facade', as featured in SOS October 2011; and the second from the current SOS, my Steinberg Cubase remix of Jokers, Jacks & Kings's 'Sea Of Leaves'. The projects contains all the audio files and plug-in settings, and I've also included screenshots of all the third-party plug-ins I've used, so that you can still investig ate all my settings even if you don't have the same plug-ins as me.

Young Griffo: 'Facade' from the October 2011 column: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk_ProjectMR1110.htm

Jokers, Jacks, & Kings: 'Sea Of Leaves' from the April 2012 column: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk_ProjectMR1204.htm

Both of these tracks also feature in the multitrack library, if you want to hear MP3 previews or download the raw tracks for your own remix purposes. Here are the links: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#YoungGriffo http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#JokersJacksKings

If you have any other Mix Rescue remixes you particularly want to see the sessions for, then just get in touch: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/AboutCMT.htm#contact

-------------------------------------------------------------- BRICASTI M7 REVERB: FREEWARE IMPULSE RESPONSES --------------------------------------------------------------

A reader has just alerted me to the presence of some freeware impulse response files taken from Bricasti's renowned M7 hardware reverb processor. You can get hold of them from Samplicity at the following link: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses

I have to say that I've not actually tried them out in earnest yet, but I'm certainly keen to do so based on my knowledge of the M7, and wanted to let you all know about them straight away too. If you need a convolution engine to run them in, there are some affordable suggestions here: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch16.htm#links

The April 2012 edition of The Mix Review has just landed, which includes production critiques of Lana Del Rey's 'Video Games', Tinchy Stryder's 'Off The Record', Emeli Sandé's 'Heaven', and One Direction's 'What Makes You Beautiful'. You can read these, along with all my previous Mix Review columns, here: http://www.soundonsound.com/mixreview

Also, if you're as interested in that Lana Del Rey production as I am, there's a great feature in that same issue where her co-writers and producers talk about the making and mixing of this track.

That's all for now, folks. Don't try to scoff it all at once...

Cheers,

Mike Senior.

http://www.ctsmastering.com

http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt