[ddots-l] Dither

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:43:25 -0400

when recording at 16 bits from an audio interface that uses 24 bit word length, is it advisable to have dithering turned on(from the audio options advanced page)?

I understand that 8 bits of the 24 bits are simply truncated when recording at a bit depth of 16 bits. If dithering is advisable for best sound, which dither algorythm should be used? I have sonar producer which provides 5 or 6 dither methods. I'm looking for the best compromise between efficiency and quality. I've read the blurp in sonar's help file about dither, and currently have dither set to triangular(less cpu intensive--slightly better than rectangular, but not as good as the POW-R methods)

thanks