[ddots-l] Re: Advice needed

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:05:56 -0400

Well the question is very subjective. Speakers are a very subjective thing.
What kind of rooms are you planning to use these in? Are you looking for
subs and speakers or just speakers, are you looking for some 300wat 12 inch
or 15 inch systems, 1000wats, etc. There's more than just looking at a
company or such. The specs when it comes to speakers does matter, thd,
watts, ohms, peak power capacity as oppose to constant etc. You could
probably wait to get better speakers for the price, but depending on what
you need, you could probably get something now. The other question is do you
have an amp already (by amp I mean for the speakers). Or do you plan to
purchase powered speakers. If you don't have an amp and will need one, then
you have to add that to the mix. Depending on your needs, you probably
couldn't get 2 speakers and an amp for 500, not without sacrificing quality
(depending on your needs, see below).

Note that your types of rooms and the places where you gig will make a
difference and greatly impact your speaker selection. Many people falsely
think that if you get a 1000 watt speaker it can handle any situation.
That's true, but many times you will be in a room that only requires a 10th
of that power. Guess what? If your speakers are not good performers at low
levels, you'll get crappy sound from thousand dollar speakers. Are they
really crappy? No, it's just that they were not made to be ran at 200 watts,
they were made to be fed more juice and thus perform better than. On the
other hand, somebody else who owns 300 watt speakers comes to that same room
with their "inferior" speakers (compared by price and specs etc) and their
sound is awesome, better than yours! Why? Because those 300 watt speakers
are being ran at 200 watts or so, and they are made to sound good at those
high (over 50%) volumes, as where your 1000wats are only being ran at around
20% volume. So before making a decision, consider what you'll be using them
for and where you'll be using them at. Note, I don't mean that higher
volumes is always better, there are speakers that will work equally well at
low and high levels, but they might cost a bit more than 500. The problem
and temptation here is to look at the number of watts and make your decision
on that alone. Well guess what, other things matter. 500 watts at 4 ohms is
more efficient than 500 watts at 8, and a 300 watt speaker at 4 ohms could
outperform a 500 watt speaker at 8 ohms. Then we need to look a thd (total
harmonic distortion). though this is not usually a big deal for pro audio,
but I've seen times where the spec is hidden and because it is assumed that
thd is good you don't bother. When you really look the sometimes it's at
20%.

Sorry to add more confusion to the pot and not provide a direct answer, but
as I said in the beginning, very subjective topic. That's like asking what
are the best studio monitors for such price? LOL.

If you need further help or assistance in this area to be sure that you get
the right material, feel free to contact me, these are the kind of things I
teach, studio equipment and pro audio stuff, how to use and purchase this
stuff correctly. I know not everybody has the privilege of going through
audio engineering courses where these things are extensively taught, so I
make them available (I gotta use the knowledge for something :)

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____