[dd251] Re: Reply to Brian

  • From: Stewart Kidd <stewart-kidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dd251@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:33:18 +0000

I think one of the problems is that there is no generally applicable
'design standard' for mist systems the way there is for CO2,
sprinklers and so on.

The IMO standard mentioned in an earlier thread is a marine standard
(International Maritime Organisation) and as such may be no more than
a useful reference for non-shipboard applications.

There are actually a number of systems out there - one large company
markets both a low pressure  and high pressure system.  There are
also systems utilising external gas storage, pumps, chemical agents
and even explosive cartridges.

The difficulty is in drawing parallels between kit approved for some
uses but not for others.  Don't forget it's important that the system
be design to a standard and the components also be manufactured to a
standard.

I think it is reasonable to draw an analogy with deluge (high and
medium velocity water spray) systems which were introduced in the
absence of any standards - they all did much the same but in
different ways, at different pressures, with different application
rates and using different components.  Even now, 40 years later we
still have no BS or EN design standard for these ( there is an NFPA
standard).

Useful thread in a useful forum - keep the thoughts coming

Stewart Kidd
(in his personal capacity as a consultant)