[dbaust] More News on NDIS from The Age's text only

  • From: "Richard Howell" <r.mhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DBAust" <dbaust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 22:45:00 +1000

[The Age <http://www.theage.com.au>  | Text-only index
<http://www.theage.com.au/text/> ]

Abbott backs national disability scheme
Date: April 30 2012

Cortlan Bennett
Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has offered bipartisan support for a
National Disability
Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in response to Prime Minister Julia Gillard's
announcement of funding in
this year's budget.
Addressing a public rally in Perth on Monday, Mr Abbott said he wanted to
establish a "bipartisan
parliamentary committee", chaired by Disability Reform Minister Jenny Macklin
and her Liberal
counterpart Mitch Fifield.
"I offer the government constructive cooperation," Mr Abbott told the
500-strong crowd who had
turned up in support of the NDIS.
"I offer the government bipartisan support for a responsible and timely NDIS.
"And I think the best way forward, as well as having an independent commission
to look after things
at the institutional level, is to have a bipartisan parliamentary committee,
chaired by both sides'
disabilities frontbenchers, to ensure that it gets looked after at a political
level."
Mr Abbott said he had been "unfairly" characterised as "Dr No" by the Labor
government for his
negative stance towards many of its policies but did not wish to stand in the
way of this latest
reform.
"When it comes to the national disability insurance scheme, I am Dr Yes," he
said to the laughter
and applause of the audience.
However, Mr Abbott also tried to take the wind out of Ms Gillard's earlier
announcement by saying
the NDIS would not be a "triumph of party politics" if and when it was
legislated.
"We cannot allow ourselves to be distracted by the normal business of
politics," the opposition
leader said.
"We must make this a reality ... this will be done.
"This will not be a party-political triumph when it happens."
Mr Abbott's comments followed an address by West Australian ministerial adviser
and disabled
activist Samantha Jenkinson, who called for greater representation of disabled
people in the NDIS
legislative debate.
"We need quarantined money in the budget to start building the fund for the
scheme now," Ms
Jenkinson said.
"We need an independent agency to be set up which will work with people with
disabilities.
"Politicians, no matter how bipartisan they are, no matter how well intentioned
they are, won't make
a system that's flexible and responsive at a local level to meet people's needs.
"We need to have people with disabilities and families - people with the lived
experience of
disability who know what works."
Employment opportunity was the main issue many of those at the rally wanted the
NDIS to address.
"Australia is one of the five wealthiest countries in the world," National
Ethnic Disability
Alliance senior policy officer Zel Iscel, who has been blind from birth, told
the crowd.
"Yet a report released by PricewaterhouseCoopers indicates out of the 27 OECD
countries, Australia
rates 27th in the employment of disabled people."
WA Young Person of the Year and quadriplegic Peter Darch echoed Ms Iscel's
sentiments.
"I feel I have a solid foundation from which I can expand my career," he said.
"I'm well educated, I'm very proud, I'm confident and I'm well-respected.
"But unfortunately, there's currently no way for me to receive the physical
support that I need to
sustain employment."
World champion swimmer and nine-times Paralympic gold medallist Priya Cooper
told AAP after the
rally that employment focus needed to be the main priority of any disability
insurance scheme.
"Sometimes people just see what's in front of them and don't realise we've got
a lot to offer," she
said.
"People with disabilities are the lowest employed and that shouldn't be the
case, because you've got
people who can make such a significant contribution to the community in all
areas."
Organisers for the Perth leg of the Make it Real rally, which was held in six
capital cities across
the nation, said they welcomed Ms Gillard's announcement of federal funding but
would continue to
campaign for an NDIS until it was legislated.
This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or
mirroring is prohibited.
[ The Age <http://www.theage.com.au>  | Text-only index
<http://www.theage.com.au/text/> ]

Disclaimer: Dbaust is a free community service.  While reasonable efforts are
taken to ensure that messages are accurate and appropriate in scope, the
moderators are unable to take any responsibility for the actual content of
posts from members or for the actions of list members.

To Leave dbaust, send an email to:
dbaust-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Use "subscribe" instead if you want to re-subscribe to Dbaust.

To post to vip-l, send email to:
dbaust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Replies to emails on this list will go to the origional sender by default.