[dbaust] Albinism Charity Drive

  • From: Erika Webb <erikaweb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Erika Webb <erikaweb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 21:20:23 -0700 (PDT)

Albinism Charity Drivehttp://www.facebook.com/albinismcharitydrive
From Maxine Krebs on Facebook.My name is Maxine Krebs and I am a mother of
three children, 2 of which have Albinism. I am seeking ongoing contributions
for desperately needed sun protection items for people with Albinism in
Tanzania and Kenya. Many of you will know that in Tanzania (and more recently
Kenya), people with Albinism are mutilated and murdered for their body parts as
local beliefs are that the body parts of someone with Albinism with bring
health, wealth and happiness. Babies and children are often targeted. Many of
these attacks are instigated by family members wanting to make money. The flip
side of this is people with Albinism are believed to be a curse from the ‘Gods’
and are therefore ostracised from the predominately dark skinned society. Their
significant vision impairments allow for little chance of receiving an
education, these people are incredibly poor and are unable to afford sun
protection items. Their life expectancy is 30
 years of age. Cause of death is most often due to preventable skin cancers.
Contributions of sun protection items are always desperately needed and very
much appreciated and are shipped to either Under the Same Sun (UTSS) in
Tanzania, or Kenyan Albino Child Support (KACSU) in Kenya. How lucky are we
that most of these things are easily affordable and accessible to us at the
local supermarket.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: All hats, sunglasses and clothing must
be new or in good used condition (ie. would you wear it?). These people
(particularly in Tanzania) are completely dehumanised and have little to no
self esteem or self worth, lets not make it worse.
- Hats must be new or in good used condition. Any size, but must be broad
brimmed (school type hats) or legionnaire's (the flap down the back) only... NO
CAPS or loose weave straw hats...- Sunscreen: any size, but preferably SPF30+-
Lip Balm: preferably SPF 30+- Sunglasses - any size, but must have UV
protection... Must be new or in good used condition..- Sunglasses pouches- Long
sleeved shirts - any size... Must be new or in good used condition...
Contributions are posted each week so the items are getting over there ASAP.
To get people talking and donating, I have started the Albinism Charity Drive
page which you can find and ‘like’ at www.facebook.com/albinismcharitydrive
If you would like to donate sun protection items, please contact me for postage
details.
Also, check out the organisations I post to at:
www.underthesamesun.com  www.kacsu.org
BREAKING NEWS! Today we had some very exciting news that ABnote Logistics in
Sydney would like to pay our postage for the next 3 months!!!
Albinism Charity Drivehttp://www.facebook.com/albinismcharitydrive