[softwarelist] Re: inserting extra data at each line

  • From: Ross McGuinness <farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:40:00 +0800

In message <50da73754adave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <93E05162-9C61-4485-8BDF-CFCAE6F95637@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Michael Talibard <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 16 Jan 2012, at 0:57, Ross McGuinness wrote:

>>> I have a list of items in an Edit (text) file that I would like to add
>>> an identifier to.
>>> ie as the lists are year based I'd like to combine them into a single
>>> list but need to be able to identify which year they came from
>>> eg
>>> SVENSON, Judy, Dsc01316/jpg
>>> SVENSON, Beau , Dsc01317/jpg
>>> DAVENPORT, Barbara, DSC00940/JPG
>>> DAVENPORT, Barbara, DSC00941/JPG
>>> PATE, Geoff, DSC05360/jpg
>>>
>>> needs to be
>>> SVENSON, Judy, Dsc01316/jpg            P07
>>> SVENSON, Beau , Dsc01317/jpg           P07
>>> DAVENPORT, Barbara, DSC00940/JPG       P07
>>> DAVENPORT, Barbara, DSC00941/JPG       P07
>>> PATE, Geoff, DSC05360/jpg              P07
>>>
>>> Is there any way this can be done short of inserting, manually, the
>>> addition data at the end of each line. I looked at applying a style
>>> but with no success.
>> In Edit, using f4 and Wildcarded expressions (where $ represents new
>> line), Find $ and replace with Hex09(for Tab)P07$ OR spacesP07$. If
>> every line requires P07, hit End of file replace; otherwise, hit Replace
>> for each appropriate line.

>> Regards - MJT

> Might I also suggest... as you already have each entity/field separated by
> a comma, you insert a comma before the Hex09 in the Replace writable, so
> that at anytime you might want to, the list could be filetyped CSV and
> inserted into a Database or Spreadsheet.

Thanks to both Dave and Michael. That does exactly what I need. I
started several years ago to collect images of the local townsfolk.
Now I have so many I need an overall index to allow me to see who I
have and who is missing. The only catch was that to combine the lists
I'd lose their location i.e. which year set they belonged to. By doing
this I can now instantly refer to the correct year. Combining the
images into a single directory wasn't feasible as some images have
duplicate names - as my camera has been through the cycle numerous
times and has reused the same set of numbers.

Thanks
Ross

--
Ross and Bev McGuinness, Cinnamon Coloureds Farmstay
1800 South Coast Hwy DENMARK  WA 6333 Tel:+61 8 9848 1781