[softwarelist] Re: Wistling in the wind

  • From: Fred Bambrough <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:53:53 GMT

In message <LfKOhqAfNPyFFwuc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <be1814b14e.fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fred Bambrough
> <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>Like many others, I get a fair amount of spam addressed to message
>>IDs. I can understand that with Usenet posts but not why so many I
>>receive have IDs from messages I've sent to the Messenger Pro mailing
>>list. At first I assumed that Barnet College may have been hacked as
>>most IDs come from that period but I've also started receiving ones
>>with IDs from the period after the list moved.
>
> When you say "Messenger Pro" do you mean Ovation Pro?

Oops, yes. Ovation Pro. Too many Pros.
(Should probably join the trend and change to iOvation :-))

> IDs and Spam are something new to me.
>
> One suggestion is that the mail list archives are available on the web.
> They have had email addresses stripped out.
>
> Presumably another way message ids escape is the same as email
> addresses, via any user whose machine has been penetrated by a virus.
> I'm thinking of the way I get a lot of spam "from" people whose names I
> am familiar with.

I wondered about this. What puzzles me is that the Ovation list is the
only one that I can identify as a source of IDs. Someone for whom this
is their only subscription in common with mine... at least at that
time?

--
Fred