[softwarelist] Spellcheck oddity with OPro on VRPC

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:32:58 +0100

Something that's never happened before, and which has puzzled me.

Over the last year or so I've been keeping a personal diary using
OPro. Being paranoid about data loss, I keep this in three places,
this ARMini, in VRPC on a Windows laptop, and in a Windows folder on
the same laptop. That is, quite apart from the usual backups.

Today, I had an ARMini crash during writing the day's entry, and had
to start again, not having saved the file yet. As usual, I checked the
spelling on the ARMini, and added a new word which the spellcheck
didn't know. I then transferred it to VRPC using ShareFS, and ran the
spellcheck there, resulting in the error "Error reading data". I
didn't know whether the data referred to was in the file or in the
dictionary, so I copied across the dictionary from ARMini to VRPC,
shut down the VRPC OPro, and then opened the file again. Checking the
spelling again resulted in the same error. Then I spell-checked the
Windows file in OPro for Windows, and this succeeded.

Knowing what the next advice would be, I saved the VRPC file as DDL,
deleted the file, loaded the DDL file and saved it with the correct
title, and all was well with the spell-check.

Even though the problem has been solved, I wonder if anyone can
explain why the error should have arisen in the first place?
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--