[softwarelist] SparkFS bug

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:58:19 +0100

Hi,

Outstanding bug-hunting by Martin Avison has revealed a bug in SparkFS 1.43.

This dates from 2012, when I changed SparkFS to allow attributes to be set on folders in zip archives.

The bug is that if you set the attributes on folders then in sufficiently complicated circumstances the header in the zip for the folder will be corrupt.

However this will only be a problem if you use a program that relies on the file header - SparkFS for example uses the zip central directory (by default). But Spark uses the file headers.

If one wanted to check for these errors in existing archives.
Reconfigure SparkFS with:

*ZipUseCentralDirectory 0

then get RISC OS to access all the archives - e.g. do a search on the folder they're in. SparkFS will raise an "unidentified header" error as soon as the archive is opened if it has this sort of damage.

Anyway it's an unhappy episode.

I've put a fixed zip module here:

www.davidpilling.com/zip143c.zip

I'd appreciate it if a few brave people tested this and let us know. Assuming there are no problems I will issue a full upgrade to SparkFS in a week or two.

www.davidpilling.com