[softwarelist] Re: Qercus, PDF problems

  • From: Richard Partridge <rkp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:33:35 +0100

In article <VW2th9ChJjBHFw8F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

> I wonder if anyone knows (this thread is not going to make much
> sense if JC does not respond) just why that is - in other words
> what is it about the PDF files from the two available routes
> (GhostScript and RiScript) that causes problems?

I'm sure we're all familiar with Riscript's little foibles, but these
show obviously on screen.

I have had a printing firm fail to reproduce a good PDF (checked with
Acrobat Reader) on their Mac software because they were failing to
read the embedded fonts. So problems are not necessarily caused at
our end!

If I'm at all worried, I provide 600dpi TIFF files as well as PDF's -
but this would be quite a task for a whole magazine.

Regards,

Richard Partridge.

--
Richard Partridge