[softwarelist] Re: PNG and transparency

  • From: "Jeff Wallis" <jeff.wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:25:40 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: davidpilling-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:davidpilling-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Pilling
Sent: 12 July 2006 14:40
To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [softwarelist] Re: PNG and transparency

>I can load PNG files into OPW but any transparent areas are rendered as
>black.
>OPW renders transparency correctly  in sprites and gifs but not in PNGs
>- is this so?

Apparently transparency in PNG's is not handled.

I was surprised, but there is little attempt to use transparency data.

I'm sure I could do better. There is an issue though in that PNG's support
alpha channels (as opposed to simple 100% transparent/100% opaque).

I'm surprised there hasn't been more call for it - I believe PNG files are
the only ones that can include graduated transparency. I surely can't be the
first person to have wanted to put a vignetted picture over a coloured or
patterned background.

Jeff Wallis