[softwarelist] Re: Loading pictures into OPro

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:38:45 +0100

(Now for the second attempt to reply following a total machine crash
here a few second before I would have pressed the send button; no idea
why it happened. :-( )

In message of 24 Jun, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9242dab34f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
> <tim@xxxxxxxxx> writes
> >For some years now I have been using OPro to construct PDF files that
> >consist of a series of pictures (scans) of old documents.  By and large
> >I find that this can only be done successfully by converting the
> >pictures to (large) sprites.
>

> One thing you need to understand is that Ovation Pro can only render and
> contain in documents certain types of image.

Thanks for the explanation.  <and snip>

> >Second: Load in 1-bit Tiff files
> >  "Unknown or missing variable (internal number 6282)"
>
> My TranTIFF+ would be a better choice for loading TIFF files than
> TransFSI (from which I assume the above error comes).

Yes I was using Tiff+.

> (and note that not only must this be installed but TransFSI must be told
> not to load TIFFs).

But I had not told TransFSI about that: how?

> >Using the same file as in the previous example I converted them to
> >Gif; this increased the size from, say, 40 Kbytes or so to 60 Kbytes
> >or so. The Gif files would load into OPro with no trouble; but saving
> >the OPro file resulted in a file of 6 Mbytes (yes, Mega).
>
> Bottom line, GIF files are translated when loaded (into Sprites).

The sprite file for the GIF was around 300k.  The really odd thing is
that OPro suddenly jumped the file size to the 6 M.  Perhaps it
converted the GIF to 32bpp?

> >A totally alternative strategy might be to use another program to
> >assemble all the images to join them together into one PDF file.  But I
> >have yet to find a program that does this as easily as OPro - and I have
> >tried Easiwriter. Any suggestions, anyone?
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is with using 1bpp sprites. If the files
> come out of your scanning software as TIFF (say) then when you construct
> the OP document they will be converted to sprites automatically when
> loaded. The downside of course is that documents will be large.

Yes.  That's why I have found that the only way to proceed is to use
Sprites and then hold them by Reference, so the OPro file is small.  PDF
does its own compression and results in a very acceptable final file
size.

> If you're producing the same thing over and over, then you might like to
> investigate using pictures in mail merge (see the OP manual). I suspect
> the same limits on referenced images will apply though.

That had not occurred to me.  It sounds as if there is an opportunity
for a measure of automation that would speed up what can be a very
lengthy process.  I'll be giving it a whirl.

Thanks.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/