[softwarelist] Re: Corrupt index

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:50:57 +0100

In message <506cbdd626john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

OK, if I get to the point of throwing it away and starting again I will try
that.  I was hoping to remove the corrupt markers, so I could re-use the
majority, which seem to be non-corrupt.

Obviously that is desirable. IdxPro is purely implemented using the OP script language, so it is possible to access its markers from scripts, presumably one could write code to sort them out.

There is a bookmark manager, IdxPro uses book marks. The trick people played was to make a class of book marks invisible to the later enhanced book mark manager. So maybe you could just look at the book marks and edit them using existing software.

If I reconstructed the documents by copying chapters, or by going via DDL,
would I lose this unused baggage?

If they are orphaned objects then a pass through DDL will get rid of them. If it is a case of memory being reused without being initialised to zero then it won't.

It might be worth a save as DDL, then reload, then save as document experiment just to see if the document becomes a lot smaller - of course it will become smaller to some extent because you'll lose all the index data.

I'm sorry about this situation.