[softwarelist] Re: Artworks printing from elliptical frame

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:14:42 +0100

In message <wH9AXvB0nn$FFwBP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <4ec5989fb3rkp@xxxxxxxxx>, Richard Partridge <rkp@xxxxxxxxx>
> writes
>>Take an Artworks file which includes an 8bpp colour sprite, and drag
>>it into an Ovation Pro frame.
>>Convert the frame to elliptical shape (circular in my case, for a CD
>>label).
>>The colours are not quite what was intended!
>
> Perhaps not relevant today, ISTR that originally for some operations
> like the above, to get AW files to render correctly one had to change to
> a low bit depth screen mode. This is mentioned somewhere in the
> documentation.

I do not think this can help during printing because the printer
driver will do its best to lead all software to believe that the
current screen mode is whatever the driver defines it to be.

But the suggestion to change screen modes rings a bell: There is the
annoying "Nothing to flow around" error when trying to flow around an
ArtWorks illustration. The suggestion workaround is to switch to a 16
colour mode. I think it is very odd that OvationPro can only flow text
around an ArtWorks illustration in a 16-colour mode. On an Iyonix,
that means that you simply cannot do it.

Something cannot be right there. I am not aware of any special
behaviour of AWRender in a 16 colour mode. If at all I would expect
problems to be more likely in a 16 colour mode than in a 256 colour
mode. Though ArtWorks and AWRender render happily to 16 colour modes,
that kind of operation has never been the preferred colour depth
anyway (and some versions of ArtWorks actually had problems rendering
to 16 colour modes).

I suppose the flowaround code redirects output to a sprite? If so, at
which colour depth?

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx