[darkice] Re: Buffer overrun?

  • From: Jack Elliott <thatjackelliott@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:25:30 -0700

Hi Dave, thanks for the suggestions. Your explanation of the error makes sense.

Darkice seems to have more trouble with network issues than B.U.T.T., the Icecast source client I am more familiar with. In my brief testing I also found that Darkice may not recover quite as gracefully: in one test Darkice lost connection with the remote Icecast2 server, and when it reconnected, Darkice seemed to be happy, was not throwing off errors, and the Icecast2 server indicated that it was getting the stream from Darkice, but there was no audio. Restarting Darkice had no effect, though restarting the Icecast server did fix the problem. This has never happened with B.U.T.T. Either Darkice clobbered the server, or it is entirely possible that the issue lies with the Icecast server, which is running on Windows, and Icecast is said to be more robust when running under Linux. I may set up a Raspberry Pi Icecast2 server and see how that goes.

So you find you have a more solid connection if you let Darkice talk to a local Icecast server then relay that to the remote server. I'll have to sort out the setup for that and give it a try.

Many thanks!

--
That Jack Elliott
(541) 848 7021

On 4/18/2017 11:28 AM, Dave Barnett wrote:

That error is something we had a lot too, and it's due to congestion and/or packet loss between darkice and the icecast server. Two ways to deal with it:

1. Ensure that the network connection between the Darkice server and the Icecast server is clean and not congested. If it's over the Internet, try testing with Darkice only. Eliminate all other hosts from your connection and see if it runs clean. If it does, you can probably make it run reliably by doing some traffic shaping.

2. If that doesn't work, try running Icecast on the same machine as darkice, using the local host (127.0.0.1) as the server. Then set the outside Icecast server to relay your local Icecast. My experience is that this seems to be more robust in terms of overcoming intermittent congestion and/or packet loss.

Dave B.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Jack Elliott <thatjackelliott@xxxxxxxx <mailto:thatjackelliott@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi, thanks Robert for spotting the error in my darkice.cfg,
    Darkice is running fine now. It is throwing off the occasional
    "buffer overrun" error in the terminal. Sounds like a buffer is
    filling with bits than it can send them out.

-- That Jack Elliott
    (541) 848 7021 <tel:%28541%29%20848%207021>
    KPOV 88.9 FM High Desert Community radio
    Producer, The Wednesday Point
    Host, The Sunday Classics

--
Dave Barnett

ofc.  530.264.4162
mob.  510.270.2717
w. http://www.kvmr.org

89.5 Nevada City   99.5 Angels Camp
88.3 Camino/Placerville  105.1 Truckee/Tahoe

Music of the World...Voice of the Community