[darkice] AW: device options

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach" <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:50:24 +0200

Dear Tom,

since several years we feed our darkice with our radio broadcast stream by USB
audio (Creative Labs USB SB live 24 bit) just by ALSA and ALSA OSS (to emulate
the older OSS). We run two different output streams (56k / 128k) from that
audio source.

In my darkice.cfg i use
        [input]
        device = /dev/dsp

depending from your system it might be your dsp device is located somewhere
else under /dev - just try / seek it if required. Just install alsa and
alsa-oss on your system and configure alsa to your card. With alsamixer (from
alsa-utils) you have an easy terminal based mixer which could be used remotely
by ssh. Don't forget to unmute the channels by alsamixer (or other mixer) the
first time you init / start alsa - otherwise you might hear just silence.

-> This means you don't need the JACK audio system for darkice. However, Jack
is preferrable if you want to use / mix / manage different inputs / outputs on
the regarding machine byself.

Good luck and cheers,

Niels.
---
Niels Dettenbach
Syndicat IT&Internet
http://www.syndicat.com

-- Urspr. Mitt. --
Betreff: [darkice] device options
Von: "Tom D. Davidson" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 14.10.2009 06:26

Hello,
I want to use DarkIce to stream from our student radio broadcast station to
our hosted icecast/shoutcast.

We have an Allen & Heath ZED14 mixer that has a USB audio in and a USB audio
out.
I want to take the USB audio out from the ZED14 as the darkice device but
much of the www how tos talk about using JACK. I am having troubles with
JACK.

What are the device requirements for DarkIce, hw0,1 type of thing?

Thank you, Tom