[darkagebritain] Re: Riothamus

  • From: "Daniel Hunt" <Cerwyd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <darkagebritain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:03:23 -0700

Hi, Dennis

Yes, that's fine - especially as I'm on the losing end of the name argument,
anyway!

But I do have a problem with the notion that Riothamus came from Brittany.
This is only possible if the account is wrong which has him coming by way of
the ocean  It has been pointed out before that this could indicate a Breton
chieftain setting sail from Brittany and landing or entering an estuary and
going up a river further north in Gaul.  But he supposedly had 12,000 troops
which, even if exaggerated, would suggest to me that had he been in Brittany,
he would have marched this army rather than shipped it.

Of course, the account could be mistaken.  If Riothamus were wrongly thought to
be Briton rather than Breton (an easy mistake for a Gaulish chronicler to
make), the comment about him coming across the Channel could be mere
supposition on the part of the chronicler

I don't know if there is any way to resolve this problem, either!

Dan