[dance-tech] Re: dance tech network attacks - Postcolonial dominations and the "superiority" of academic language - the need for TRANSLATIONS

  • From: "Matt Gough" <mpgough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaimedelval@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:24:58 +0100

hello jaime & all

there should be no need for 'translations', it would be more open and
effective if we all spoke clearly, simply and briefly.

'poetic utterances' can be as impenetrable, dominating and monolithic
as 'academia'. if we question the notion and function of 'academic
institutions' then we should treat 'artistic poetics' in the same way.
we also need to remember that 'poetics' is an 'academic' form.

if there is no academic 'truth', then there can be no poetic 'truth'.
it makes no sense to replace one 'dominance' with another. nor should
we reject 'western' constructs and values 'out of hand'.

a transdisciplinary arena requires taking the time to understand other
disciplines terminologies and thinking. even if they 'grate' our
sensibilities.

the transcultural is more problematic. i feel you have a resistance to
former colonial powers. (yet that puzzles me as i think you are
spanish and also based in spain?). it is almost like you are
suggesting 'positive (cultural) discrimination'.

the problem is, that we have no idea what each others cultural
backgrounds are. where you work/live is not always an indicator of
genetic or cultural origin. nor does it define you as an 'academic' or
'artist'.

there is a lot of 'us' and 'them' in your writing, and not much 'we'.
that doesn't seem very open ...

best

matt