[dance-tech] Re: Fwd: Sensordance, interactive game, webcam dramaturgy #2,

  • From: "curators -" <transubstantiate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:53:03 +0100

Hello list, hello johannes [jb]. thank you for you thoughts, comments
and questions;

the diagram is a work in progress, it seemed useful to share.

[jb] It is not uncommon that also young generation artists (2nd ?
3rd?) like to talk about / demonstrate their tools and their "bespoke
software", as I just noted at a performance platform (DRHA) at
Dartington College of Arts.  6 or 7 performative works/installations
were presented, in  almost  all  cases the artists preferred to talk
about the tools and the systems they had created. [/jb]

direction and mode of presentation are defined by the selecting body,
it is common to see the 'young' attempt to validate their praxis
through 'old' constructs. Platforms independently initiated and
presented wholly by the younger generation would be a more
representative example.; the Judson group didn't share an evening with
cunningham.

[jb] Ascott speaking of the cybernetc, reptal,  technoetic and the
moist media,  is now requesting that we work with "syncretic
knowledges"...as, he suggests,  we are already beyond the "digital
moment in culture,"  and have entered the "pharmacological era" !
[/jb]

we are still (deeply) engaged in the 'pharmacological' and only
starting to explore the 'digital'. We see the primary feature of 21st
century modernity as syncretism, such a call whilst delineating era's
is null. Moist media is a manifesto of neologisms redundantly
recalling neurological/scientific concepts with a spiritualist spin
(neo and quantum metaphysics have been highjacked for inappropriate
purposes).

[jb] Focusing on what we want to say would imply that we look at how
our works transforms tacit knowledge. Sandy Mathern, in her
performance, points to improvisation as a cognitive/physical system
or consciousness of organization that is interfacing with the
programmed cybernetic/sculptural system the group had built, and
"Contained" was a very strong, convincing work. And yet, I am not sure
what the works actually reveals, or convinces one of. [/jb]

Mathern seems to be engaging in 'theory abstraction', the result of
trying to 'valiate' the esoteric through scientific/theoretical
principles. Comparing like with like, (emergent/procedural physical
systems) tends to reveal little; the detail (and interest?) is in
difference. The fact you found it convincing perhaps reinforces
post-embodied conceptualisations of embodiment. From another
perspective the artists interest is simply in generative systems,
presenting a system 'as is' can be equally unrevealing but fully
engaging. Instability within the improvisational context (ecological,
cognitive physical etc.) can be observed without 'technological'
assistance, the application of 'tech' is not a convincing
transformation of tacit knowledge.

On a slightly separate note, there are many 'traditional' performance
spaces in which there is no 'front' or performer spectator boundary.
Does mathern really believe that her audience has only experience the
proscenium arch, has she ignored the last 50+ years of performance
practice? [see http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha06/papers/abstract.asp?uid=58
]. surely the difference is between 'performance space' and the
'theatre'.

[jb] if i were to talk about a work such as "Contained", I would have
to use reference to emotions, associations, images in my mind and
sensations in my body, and they were highly subjective.  If I talk
about the system and the way it was set up, I may resort to a
technical (tool) language, speak of angles, rotations, light patterns,
sound, use of microphone-voice, use of cameras, etc   no?   I think
the challenge will be to bring these languages together to a new level
of analytical and poetic writing. [/jb]

yes, it is a challenge ... but no different from any other from of
dance writing/analysis. Adshead-Lansdale provides us with a method
that implicitly applies to dance-tech. Although the method could do
with some re-factoring it seems an issue of re-learning skills rather
than developing 'new' ones. However, a more positivist, and thorough
approach to critical evaluation is required, too many artists make
claims that are unsupported by the theoretical contexts they 'borrow'
from.

[jb] when [Hales] addressed literature (not performance), she proposed
that the role of literature is to reveal/transform the tacit
knowledges into embodied practices. The latter, I assume, are not
post-human, then? [/jb]

experimental praxis transforms/reveals tacit knowledge into embodied
practices, notions of embodiment are related to, but distinct from the
human, trans-human/cyborg and post-human. However, from a
post-embodied perspective the post-human can be embodied. Hales
contradicts herself when differentiating human from post-human, she
also fails to properly contextualise biological technology; natural
verses engineered flesh. Literary theory does not directly apply to
physical movement praxis – this common misconception needs to be
addressed. In Saussurean terms it is the difference between the
signifier and speech (or the object).

[jb] How do you see the impact of dance works (conceptual/improvised),
what does transubstantiate mean by "conceptual contexts"? [/jb]

the impact of any dance work should be assessed on an individual
basis. given the rich history of improvised and conceptual dance works
in 20th century dance 'importance' should be measured in immediate and
historical terms, its future longevity will depend on the works
following it. Each mode of dance making (potentially) has something to
offer. If technology is the 'idea' then we defer to lewitt: "The
concept and idea are different. The former implies a general direction
while the latter is the component. Ideas implement the concept.".

The virtual and physical are different states of
(synthesised/simulated) mediation, liminality is state change; the
post-embodied can transubstantiate.

Best

curators @  transubstantiate

On 08/09/06, Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello all, hello "transubstantiate"

thanks for this excellent critical response to the thread.  I gather the
responders are anonymous, which is interesting, as we have not had such a
response-form yet on our list.

thanks for the interesting diagram,  as well.

rather than going into details, i only want to pick up your ending:

>>the experiential is not confined to first time experience (and there
is no 'same river'), even a prosthesis can be engaged with
experientially (I think hales has clouded the issue of
post-embodiment). No, it may not be pure 'improvisation' but what's
wrong with procedural choreography? And no, conceptual and improvised
dance are not contradictory, each is able to facilitate the other.>>

i would have to agree, i think my argument was too limited to understanding the experiential as distinct in affect from the "rehearsed" or habitualized/automatized. your reference to Hayles is intruiguing.

>>Hayles articulated that the 2nd generation have a different perspective
from the dance-tech avant garde.    growing up with digital and analogue
tools does mean we focus more on what we want to say the the tools
themselves. Looking beyond the tools to their conceptual/applied
contexts offer a more fertile ground for establishing a dance-tech
taxonomy.>>

This is productive for our community, and a good reminder of the dead-ends of some of our discussions on tools and technical functionalities. And yet, is this true what you claim? It is not uncommon that also young generation artists (2nd ? 3rd?) like to talk about / demonstrate their tools and their "bespoke software", as I just noted at a performance platform (DRHA) at Dartington College of Arts.

6 or 7 performative works/installations were presented, in  almost  all  cases
the artists perfered to talk about the tools and the systems they had created.
  For those of you interested, i mention some of the works:

Kirk Woolford, Lancaster Institute for the Contemporary Arts,
"Will.0.w1S"    interactive installation

Robyn Stuart & Brian Curson
'Living Room' –  dance with virtual world

Sandy Mathern, Denison University
Alexander Mouton, Denison University
Christian Faur, Denison University
Marlon Barrios Solano, n.a.
Aaron Fuleki, Denison University
"CONTAINED"     Interactive Performance/Installation

Mary Oliver, School of Media, Music and Performance/Creative Technology Research Group, University of Salford "Fly me to the moon" vaudeville performance with animation

Emmanuelle Waeckerle
"Vinst"  -  interactive installation

Johannes Birringer,  Michèle Danjoux,
"Intimate Klüver"   -  diptych, digital video

***

we also heard Roy Ascott. Stelarc, and Katherine Hayles deliver keynotes.

Hayles spoke of "habitual knowledges" in highly mediated societies and within highly
technological living patterns, and I think she refers to these now as "tacit knowledges",
 and when she addressed literature (not performance), she proposed that the role of literature is
to reveal/transforrm the tacit knowledges into embodied practices. The latter, I assume, are not
post-human, then?
Ascott speaking of the cybernetc, reptal,  technoetic and the moist media,  is now requesting that we work
with "syncretic knowledges"...as, he suggests,  we are already beyond the "digital moment in
culture,"  and have entered the "pharmacological era" !

there we go, dance tech community.

Focusing on what we want to say would imply that we look at how our works transforms
tacit knowledge. Sandy Mathern, in her performance, points to improvisation as a
cognitive/physical system  or consciousness of organization that is interfacing with the
programmed cybernetic/sculptural system the group had built, and "Contained"
was a very strong, convincing work.
And yet, I am not sure what the works actually reveals, or convinces one of.

How do you see the impact of dance works (conceptual/improvised),   what does
transunstantiate mean by "conceptual contexts"?
It seems that "Contained" evokes a 'sytemic' context or way of thinking (whether biological,
cybernetic, sculptural, projectional communicational, & artistic), but the systemic is
experienced/experienceable as physically and emotinally affective, and thus, if i were to talk about a
work such as "Contained", I would have to use reference to emotions, associations, images in
my mind and sensations in my body, and they were highly subjective.  If I talk about the system and the
way it was set up, I may resort to a technical (tool) language, speak of angles, rotations, light
patterns, sound, use of microphone-voice, use of cameras, etc   no?   I think the challenge will be to
bring these languages together to a new level of analytical and poetic writing.

with regards
Johannes Birringer