[dance-tech] A Dance-Tech Social Network

  • From: Kristin Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:13:04 -0500

Hi everyone,

I first heard about this list on Matthew Gough's blog, Quodlibet, and then Tony Schultz was kind enough to forward Doug Fox's thoughtful contribution to the list to me, so here I am.

I'm very excited to see that there is an organized and passionate group of people connecting over Dance and Technology (unfortunately I had no idea until now-I'm very excited to have found all of you!), but agree with Marlon (//www.freelists.org/archives/dance-tech/ 11-2007/msg00016.html) that creating a social network around this topic could possibly take these conversations and interactions to a new level.

Marlon- the(inter)mission uses the Ning platform, as you mentioned in your recent post, and it works fairly smoothly. Also, it gives you the ability to have multiple administrators, so as long as everyone is on the same page, it could work out great.

Ning has also just started offering the ability to add OpenSocial apps as Josephine had mentioned (//www.freelists.org/archives/ dance-tech/11-2007/msg00015.html), so I think it makes sense to have a niche environment of our own, that could also at some point communicate across the mass social networks like facebook and myspace.

I don't want to be presumptuous, considering I just joined everyone here, but I wanted to offer to help as much as I can in setting something up for this topic. I am really interested in learning more about this area of expertise within our art form, so would love to help facilitate a more open environment for all of us as much as I can.

Let me know what I can do... set-up, design, layout suggestions, spreading the word... I just did this recently, so we could get it up and running fairly quickly if everyone is game.

Also I just got the URL dance-technology.com, but if someone has another one that is better that's great too. I'm just offering that one up.

Let me know what you all think.

Best,
Kristin

kristin sloan | founder, editor