[dance-tech] 2nd Call for (re)Actor 2

  • From: "Sue Broadhurst" <susan.broadhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Susan Broadhurst" <Susan.Broadhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:39:08 +0100

  Apologies for cross postings

  CALL FOR PAPERS, INSTALLATIONS & PERFORMANCES

  (re)Actor2: The Second International Conference on Digital Live Art

  "Bad Girls, Gadgets & Guerrilla Performance"

  Broadcasting House & Leeds Met Gallery

  Leeds Metropolitan University, UK

  September 10th, 2007

  http://www.digitalliveart.com

  sponsored by the Arts Council of England, University of Leeds, Leeds
Metropolitan University, BigDog Interactive and Nokia

  jointly organised by

  the School of Performance and Cultural Industries - University of Leeds,

  Leeds Metropolitan University and

  BigDog Interactive

  ABOUT

  Digital Live Art is the intersection of Human-computer Interaction (HCI),
Live Art and Computing. (re)Actor2: The Second International Conference on
Digital Live Art seeks to bring together practitioners and academics from the
varying worlds of Live Art, Computing and HCI for a lively debate and event
which will explore this emerging field. We are particularly interested in
unanticipated performance spaces and playful arenas, such as festivals and
nightclubs.

  This year's theme, BAD GIRLS, GADGETS & GUERRILLA PERFORMANCE focuses on
women who are practicing at the intersection of Computing and Live Art. In
focusing on women, Computing and the Arts, this year we look to celebrate the
diverse skills, knowledge and experience that women bring to the field. It is
our hope that bringing these people together will foster an environment for
mutual learning, mentoring and support. Proposals and participation are
welcomed from all genders.

  KEYNOTE

  Our keynote presentation this year will be from the Guerrilla Girls
(www.guerrillagirls.com) of New York. In 1985, a group of women artists founded
the Guerrilla Girls. They assumed the names of dead women artists and wore
gorilla masks in public, concealing their identities and focusing on the issues
rather than their personalities. Between 1985 and 2000, close to 100 women,
working collectively and anonymously, produced posters, billboards, public
actions, books and other projects to make feminism funny and fashionable. At
the turn of the millennium, three separate and independent incorporated groups
formed to bring fake fur and feminism to new frontiers. Guerrilla Girls, Inc.,
www.guerrillagirls.com, was established by two founding Guerrilla Girls and
other members to continue the use of provocative text, visuals and humor in the
service of feminism and social change. They have written several books and
create projects about the art world, film, politics and pop culture. They
travel the world, talking about the issues and their experiences as feminist
masked avengers, reinventing the "f" word into the 21st century.  They could be
anyone; they are everywhere.

  VENUE - DAYTIME EVENT

  As before, this year we include both a daytime and evening event. The formal
daytime event will take place in the old BBC Broadcasting House, a newly
refurbished building at Leeds Metropolitan University on Monday, September
10th, 2007. The day will consist of keynote presentations, formal papers and
interactive installations. Leeds Met Gallery will curate a special exhibition
which will see some of the accepted proposals exhibited in the gallery during
the conference.

  EVENING AFTER PARTY

  The daytime event will be followed by an exhilarating after party with
commissioned installations, DJs, VJs and live performances in the vibrant city
of Leeds. Commissioned performances will be followed by the incredible Lost
Vagueness http://www.lostvagueness.com/ of Glastonbury fame. Over the years,
Lost Vagueness has picked up a reputation for being the most anarchic and
culturally twisted location at the festival, a place where performers and
guests languish together in the warped decadence of the surroundings. This will
be the first time Lost Vagueness has performed in the city of Leeds.

  FUNDING
  We have a limited number commissions available for live performances and
installations. You can make a request for funding when you submit your
proposal. We also have a limited number of travel bursaries available for those
who may not be otherwise able to make it to the conference.

  PROPOSALS

  All proposals will be peer reviewed by the conference committee. Proposals
must not exceed the 2-page limit and must be prepared using the conference
publications format provided on our website. However, you may provide
additional info (links to digital material including online video, photos and
websites) using the third page of the proposal template.  We are accepting
proposals for:

      * academic paper presentations (day)

      * live performances (including DJ/VJ sets) (day and evening)

      * interactive installations (day and evening)

  Topics of interest included but definitely not limited to:

  ·        Technology as a vehicle for social and peformative interactivity

  ·        Human-computer interaction and intervention

  ·        Women, performance and technology

  ·        Audience behaviour and rules of engagement in interactive works

  ·        Non-complicit performance

  ·        Stumble performance and digital live encounters

  ·        Guerrilla interventions

  ·        Performative contracts - rule making and rule breaking

  ·        Digital/live performance and the club space

  ·        Experimental visual and sonic interfaces for live performance

  ·        Performance and social infection

  Accepted proposals will be published in the conference proceedings and
included on our website. Following last year's conference, participants were
invited to submit their papers to a special edition of the International
Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media on Digital Live Art (2007 -
Intellect Press). A similar publication will be produced from this year's
conference.

  IMPORTANT DATES

  Proposal submission deadline: 28th June, 2007

  Notification of acceptance: 28th July, 2007

  Conference date: September 10th, 2007

  (re)Actor DIRECTORS

  Jennifer Sheridan, BigDog Interactive

  Alice Bayliss, University of Leeds

  CONFERENCE CHAIRS

  Rebekka Kill, Leeds Metropolitan University

  Alice Bayliss, University of Leeds

  Jennifer Sheridan, BigDog Interactive

  EVENT ADMINISTRATION

  Patsy Robertshaw, Leeds Met University

  CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

  Maribeth Back, FX PAL, California

  Christopher Baugh, University of Leeds

  Steve Benford, University of Nottingham

  Joanna Berzowska, Concordia University

  Teresa Brayshaw, Leeds Metropolitan University

  Daniel Brine, Live Art Development Agency, UK

  Susan Broadhurst, Brunel University

  Nick Bryan-Kinns, Queen Mary, University of London

  Linda Candy, University of Technology, Sydney

  David Collins, Doncaster College

  Beatriz da Costa, University of California

  Steve Dixon, Brunel University

  Jon Dovey, Bristol University

  Linda Drew, Chelsea College of Art and Design

  Matt Fenton, Nuffield Theatre Lancaster

  Geraldine Fitzpatrick, University of Sussex

  Bill Gaver, Goldsmiths University of London

  Gabriella Giannachi, University of Exeter

  Ceri Hand, Metal, Liverpool

  Rania Ho, Korean Advanced Institute of Culture & Technology

  Moira Innes, Leeds Met Gallery

  Clare Jackson, Axis

  Lois Keidan, Live Art Development Agency, UK

  Boriana Koleva, University of Nottingham

  Charles Kriel, London Metropolitan University

  Annie Lloyd, Leeds Metropolitan University

  Suzy Mason, Speedqueen, UK

  Jill Morgan, Leeds Metropolitan University

  Angela Piccini, Bristol University

  Sita Popat, University of Leeds

  Michelle Teran, Artist, Canada

  Mick Wallis, University of Leeds