[ctw] Re: upgrade from old perl and 1.5rc3

  • From: Tom Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:34:26 -0400

Bob,

I have no idea as 1) I don't have a machine to check and 2) don't have the time futz as Snow Leopard is on horizon and Tiger will soon be not supported. I have heard ActiveState is pretty good and their Tcl which I have used is rock solid so I must admit I am confused. I still think that (as I stated on the FAQ) under Tiger no matter the version of Perl you need to use and olds Net::DNS version due to the underlying code in the OS.

Anyway if you don't want to try ActiveState you can just use the 1.4.x branch in the download area.

Tom

At 9:12 PM -0700 4/3/09, Bob Albert wrote:
It doesn't sound like activestate will work for a Tiger install? Is there another way to update PERL on tiger server without using ActiveState?

I unfortunately can't update to Leopard right now for the machine I want to update.

Advice??

Bob

On Apr 3, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Tom Shaw wrote:

At 8:46 PM -0400 4/3/09, Cory Rau wrote:
On Apr 3, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Tom Shaw wrote:

I don't know a 6.5 of net::dns and I have never delt with activestate :-( Sorry.

I've used ActiveState on Windows but I'm genuinely curious why people are opting for ActiveState over the standard install that comes with OS X.

The trade is upgrade to Leopard or use ActiveState to get 5.8.8 and above Perl on a lower OSX distro.

--
Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC
<tshaw at oitc.com>, http://www.oitc.com/ local wx: http://www.oitc.com/weather US Phone Numbers: 321-984-3714, 321-729-6258(fax), 321-258-2475(cell/voice mail,pager)

Fish more and Live longer