[csusbpeace] 'He doesn't allow us to drill': Home Depot Co-Founder Bernie Marcus blames President Biden for oil supply issues

  • From: Yasha Karant <ykarant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csusbpeace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:51:02 -0700

From below:

Detractors of the Republican view note that big oil companies like ExxonMobil and Chevron remain focused on drilling from proven wells rather than searching for new deposits. This camp would also add that the ongoing supply chain effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and war between Russia and Ukraine are the primary drivers of elevated oil and natural gas prices.

AND

"People live on a different planet, I think," Marcus added. "I feel one day, I wake up in the morning, and I say, 'Where the hell are they coming from?' I don't understand it. Why are they defending not drilling when, in fact, climate change, you could put off over a period of time and do it over the next 30 years, 40 years, and do it intelligently, but not slam down on it and kill everybody today. So it's hurting everybody today. Not good."

End excerpts.

NB: The statement that the planet has 30 or 40 years at the current (or an increased) rate of CO2 deposit into the atmosphere is either because Marcus (below) is delusional or an outright liar. Revealed data and analysis by the fossil fuel primary supplier profiteer corporations support this reality, despite the disinformation from these same corporations that is what Marcus is repeating.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/home-depot-co-founder-bernie-marcus-president-biden-oil-110259529.html

Yahoo Finance
'He doesn't allow us to drill': Home Depot Co-Founder Bernie Marcus blames President Biden for oil supply issues

Brian Sozzi
Anchor, Editor-at-Large
Tue, October 18, 2022 at 4:02 AM
Home Depot Co-Founder Bernie Marcus says 40-year high levels of inflation would come down if the Biden administration makes it easier for oil companies to drill in the country.

"We have a president that just doesn't believe in that [oil drilling]," Marcus said on a new episode of Yahoo Finance Presents. "We are sitting on tons of oil and gas, and he doesn't allow us to drill. It's basically stupid. I can't come with another word. It's stupid. And we will continue to suffer this inflation. And our people will continue to struggle with high prices as long as he maintains this facade of climate control versus allowing us to do the things we should be doing,"
[Diving into crypto? Our coverage runs deep.]

Marcus — a long-time Republican supporter — in many respects is toeing the popular party line on the president and oil drilling. Republicans in Congress consistently decry the Biden administration's efforts to curb new oil drilling in the U.S. and focus on growing the economy — such as building electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure.
U.S. President Joe Biden calls for a federal gas tax holiday as he speaks about gas prices during remarks in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building&#39;s South Court Auditorium at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 22, 2022. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
U.S. President Joe Biden calls for a federal gas tax holiday as he speaks about gas prices during remarks in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building's South Court Auditorium at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 22, 2022. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Detractors of the Republican view note that big oil companies like ExxonMobil and Chevron remain focused on drilling from proven wells rather than searching for new deposits. This camp would also add that the ongoing supply chain effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and war between Russia and Ukraine are the primary drivers of elevated oil and natural gas prices.

In any case, consumers are in a precarious financial position when it comes to inflation.

Consumer price inflation is hovering around a 40-year high despite the Federal Reserve aggressively raising interest rates to cool the economy. And at $3.87 per gallon on average nationally, prices at the gas pump are more than 50 cents higher than a year ago.

Nearly half of U.S. households that use natural gas to heat their homes may see prices surge 28% year over year this winter, according to the U.S. Energy Inflation Administration in a recent report.

"People live on a different planet, I think," Marcus added. "I feel one day, I wake up in the morning, and I say, 'Where the hell are they coming from?' I don't understand it. Why are they defending not drilling when, in fact, climate change, you could put off over a period of time and do it over the next 30 years, 40 years, and do it intelligently, but not slam down on it and kill everybody today. So it's hurting everybody today. Not good."

Brian Sozzi is an editor-at-large and anchor at Yahoo Finance.