[csusbpeace] Fwd: Amazon: Get your greedy hands off our health care!

  • From: Yasha Karant <ykarant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csusbpeace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 16:03:00 -0800

-------- Forwarded Message --------

We've already seen how Amazon treats workers. How will they treat patients?

  National Nurses United

Health care corporations have raked in billions during the pandemic — and now other corporations like Amazon want a cut. *Amazon plans to buy the primary care organization One Medical in a nearly $4 billion deal.*

Amazon is already the largest online retailer in the world — now they want to take over health care too? Nurses know how dangerous this is. That's why we marched in solidarity with Amazon Labor Union and the broader labor movement to urge One Medical shareholders to vote no on the acquisition!

Workers have raised the alarm that Amazon was slow to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) to its employees and implement other health and safety measures, despite the company bringing in record profits this past year.

*We've already seen how Amazon treats workers. How will they treat patients?*

Amazon’s focus on productivity will likely push One Medical staff to see more patients in as little time as possible, hurting patient care. *We can't provide quality care if there is a time limit. *

Unfortunately, Amazon is just the latest in a string of major corporations and hospitals making restructuring efforts to drive profits at the expense of patients and health care workers. We’ve seen this with attempts by hospitals to implement ‘Home All Alone’ practices and turn nurses into gig workers. We’ve seen this with hospitals' unsafe staffing ratios.

*These kinds of health care justice issues are at the heart of the work done by our Nurse Advocacy Network members.*

Our Nurse Advocacy Network (NAN) is made up of community members and health care workers who have come together to hold major corporations, like Amazon, and the hospital industry accountable.

*We need as many voices as we can get advocating for health care justice, so will you join our Nurse Advocacy Network today?* <https://act.nnu.org/signup/welcome-nan/>

We wouldn’t be able to do this important work without you. Thank you for all that you do.

In solidarity,

National Nurses United

This email was sent to ykarant@xxxxxxxxx. Email is the most important way we stay in touch with you.