[cst_2014_board] FW: FAST Coaching Services Agreement

  • From: "Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg" <mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 20:55:17 -0600

I'm sorry to not relay this earlier - it's been a busy week.  But I was able
to call Lance on Tuesday afternoon!

First Lance laughed and said that obviously I was not successful in running
away screaming and kicking from the appointed position of President of the
Board.  He feels my pain.  J  Most importantly though our call was
productive and positive.

First and foremost, FAST does not have an interest in who holds the contract
with them.  The numbers I conveyed to him $7,500 for 100 swimmers and maybe
a break point to $6,000 for 75 swimmers were also acceptable.  He also felt
like the contract could be at a high level and as simple as possible.
Please see the attached first draft and provide comment.  I think this came
out of their board meeting that very same night.

As a side conversation - Lance talked about how we were all concerned about
how the Horsetooth League might receive the news of our partnership.  Oddly
enough - that very morning, Amy from Splash Pools called and asked FAST if
they would be willing to entertain the same kind of coaching contract with
other teams this summer!  He said FAST might be interested - but not this
year.  FAST agrees that this is a system that needs to have everything
worked out with just one relationship before it could possibly be rolled out
to other teams.  So that was an interesting turn of events.

FAST is 90% sure they know the coach that would be working with us.
Unfortunately it wouldn't be McKenzie - but a coach named Amanda.  This is
not for sure - but highly likely and they think she is a very good fit for
us.  Lance is trying to set up a time when I (and anyone from Collindale who
is available) to meet - hopefully before the Horsetooth League meeting.
They have not determined who might be a second or third coach who could
rotate in for special sessions yet.

One idea we had talked about was that inter-squad meet which FAST endorses
because they do the same thing.  Previously, there had also been talk about
that first week being set up as sort of a clinic week.  In Lance's
conversation with Amy, this came up too and would there be an opportunity
for other teams to have clinics as well.  One idea put out there would be to
hold a clinic at Collindale, but be open to other team's swimmers.  Perhaps
a small fee could be assessed.  Just something to throw out there.

I did forward to Lance our Coach Responsibilities, Parent Expectations,
Swimmer Expectations and Board Responsibilities.  Here is his response
"Heidi,

I took a look through your documents.  I like that you are keeping them all
very high level.  FAST Coach Mike Novell reviewed them as well.  His main
comment was, "What are the repercussions when the policies are violated?"
For the last two years, FAST has had all of its swimmers and parents sign a
disciplinary code.  I'm not sure you need to go into as much detail for CST.
As a team, FAST ran into some trouble when punishments of different
severities were handed down for similar offenses.  Outlining the punishment
for each level of offense takes the guesswork out of how discipline is
administered.

I've attached a copy of the FAST disciplinary code.  Please feel free to use
it as you see fit."

This seems a little extreme to me right now - but as we know - this things
get written because the issue comes up because someone does something
stupid!

So, please take a look at these two documents and let's discuss over e-mail.
I will put both of these documents in the drop-box.  Please feel free to
edit and send them back to me.

I've got a busy weekend ahead - so will check e-mail but not likely be able
to respond.  I have a message to Janie Wagstaff but have not heard back from
her yet.

Oh - Thank you Carol for the potential names for our group.  I like panel.
so CAPS had some resonance with me.  I also liked ABC's and SPA (if nothing
else that it's imagery is relaxation!).

John, were you able to meet with Mike yet?

I can't think of anything else at this moment.but it seems we are aligning
well with FAST's expectations and that makes me happy!  Good Night!

-Heidi