[cseblist] Fwd: [SCB Chapters] Chapters Informationabout 24th International Congress for Conservation Biology is in Edmonton- 2-7 July 2010

  • From: Wendy Thomson <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CSEB LISTS LISTS <cseblist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:55:35 -0400

Hey

Just a reminder that the 24th International Congress for Conservation Biology is in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) during 3-7 July 2010… This is the international meeting for members of the Society for Conservation Biology. The theme of the meeting is Conservation for a Changing Planet. There are several events for Chapters that you or a representative from you chapter should plan to attend:

Chapter Leaders Workshop:  Friday 2 July @ 1230-1630
Chapters Retreat & Social: Friday 2 July @ 1700-2100
Chapters Education Workshop:  Saturday 3 July @ 1230
Chapters/ BOG Mixer: Saturday 3 July @ 1800-1900
NA Chapters/ Section Joint Roundtable:  Sunday 4 July @ 1400-1630
Chapters Business Roundtable:  Monday 5 July?- TBA
Chapter’s Booth Day:  Monday 5 July (all day)
             * Please see below for details

Chapter’s Workshop: Resources for Community & Leadership Development

Please plan to spend the day with your fellow Chapter leaders!  This year we’ve managed to set aside almost a full day for Chapter activities.  It will start with our semi-annual workshop for Chapters, followed by a fun evening of good discussion and socializing.  Guaranteed to be noteworthy!

The Chapter’s workshop is sponsored by the chapter’s committee to bring chapter members together and provide resources to improve your Chapter.  This year we are focusing on two topics:
1. Fundraising
2.  Leadership Development

We will have presentations and exercises led by professionals in both these areas.  We will also invite chapter leaders to share their experiences / obstacles that they are facing or have overcome pertaining to these topics.

Please RSVP to Aletris Neils (aletris_neils@xxxxxxxxx) if you plan to attend this workshop so we have a head count on how many people will be there.

Chapters' Social: Hopefully the start of a new tradition! The Flagstaff retreat last October was so much fun that we decided to try it once again.  This will include dinner, time for getting to know your fellow Chapter leaders, and for discussing anything you wish about your Chapter.   ALSO, THIS IS A CALL FOR MUSICIANS: Please bring your instrument of choice and join a jam session or two after dinner. There are very talented musicians among us and plenty of others who enjoy singing or dancing along!

Chapters Education Workshop: Attached is a letter of support for you to submit with travel grant applications to your university attend the 24th International Congress for Conservation Biology. More specifically, this letter of support is to encourage support for you to participate in a workshop hosted by the Education Committee of the SCB North America Section titled Leadership in Teaching Conservation Science through SCB Chapters, which is scheduled for 3 July, 1230-530 pm.

Students must register for the workshop which is free of charge and will prepare representatives of SCB Chapters with instruction and the educational materials to deliver presentations on three separate but related topics in conservation science:

  • Biological Diversity
  • Ecosystem Integrity
  • Conservation Strategies for Sustainable Ecosystems

These presentations were authored by Dr. Reed Noss (U Central Florida) and Dr. Martin Main (U Florida) and peer-reviewed by the Editor of Conservation Biology (Dr. Erica Fleishman) among others.

Attendees at this workshop will be provided a free CD containing the three presentations in Powerpoint, plus companion .pdf files with color slides and detailed speaking notes that can be used as a study guide and distributed as accompanying reference materials for each presentation.

The workshop and materials will promote leadership roles among SCB Chapters in providing conservation education to other students, local conservation organizations, interested citizens, and so forth. As such, we are building capacity in educational outreach while contributing to the leadership and presentation skills of students and SCB Chapters. These types of presentations may also provide a potential source of revenue for SCB Chapters to support other Chapter activities.

Chapters/ BOG Mixer: The annual gathering of Chapter and Board leaders, designed for meeting, greeting, schmoozing, and imbibing. Held in conjunction with the Student/BOG Mixer.

NA Chapters/ Section Roundtable:  This is the continuation of a roundtable conversation started in Flagstaff in October 2009 about improving communication and coordination among North American Chapters and with the North America Section. That discussion focused more on the Section needs and how Chapters can feed into them.  This next conversation will focus more on Chapter needs and how the Section can fit in.

All are invited and encouraged to attend! More detailed info will be sent shortly, including minutes from the last meeting, for those who will be new to the conversation.

Chapters Business Roundtable (TBA): Our annual meeting of Chapter leaders and members. This is to update you on SCB and Chapter business, answer queries, and provide info for potential new Chapters.  Please plan to attend.

SCB Chapter’s Booth Day:  SCB Chapters’ Booth Day is a great opportunity to inform the entire SCB community about your chapter, highlight your chapter’s accomplishments, and recruit new members. It’s our time to demonstrate the amazing presence SCB Chapters have and highlight all the remarkable things SCB chapters are doing!

In order to be well represented, we need your help!  We need chapters to send or bring materials about their chapter for the booth.

Print Materials -- Can be sent to EO for shipping or hand-carried to conference by any Chapter member

Appropriate materials to display at the booth include:  brochures, newsletters, posters, t-shirts, etc.  You can bring materials to the conference, or have them printed and shipped by SCB.  The deadline for submitting print materials to the SCB Executive Office is ** Monday, 1 June  Sent to:  Society for Conservation Biology, c/o Laura Walko, 1017 O Street NW, Washington, DC 20001  Please alert Laura if you are snail mailing anything to her( lwalko@xxxxxxxxxx

Display posters will be limited in size to 4' x 6' (preferably 4' wide by 6' high).  Posters may be displayed in the booth, or used elsewhere in the convention center to advertise Chapters Day at the booth.  Even if there will not be anyone from your chapter attending the meeting, you can still send it to Laura.

Other activities of possible interest include:
                        Opening Reception & Awards Ceremony (Sat, 7p-9p)
                        Most Section Meetings (Mon, lunch)
                        Student Awards Finalists Presentations (Mon, 1400-1600)
                        Student Networking Event (Mon, 7p-10p)
                        North America Section Meeting (Tues, lunch)

Symposia:
Using Conservation Science to Influence Public Policy: Lessons from North America (Sun, 1030-1600)

Economic Growth and Biodiversity Conservation: From Theory to the Policy Arena (Mon, 8a-10a)

Top priorities of Canadian and American policymakers for conservation science (Mon 2p-4p)

Workshops:
Participating in a conference: some advice for newcomers (Sun, lunch)

Ensuring That Multilateral Environmental Agreements Have High Quality, Independent Scientific Data and Advice - from IMOSEB to IPBES and beyond (Tues, lunch)

The publication process for SCB’s journals, Conservation Biology and Conservation Letters (Tues, lunch)

Introduction to the Convention on Biological Diversity and Related Domestic Laws – How to Help Shape and Use These Conservation Tools (Wed, lunch)

Short courses:
How Scientists and Other Professionals Can Participate in Assessing Options, Forming Policy, and Enforcing Conservation Law at Home and Internationally (Fri July 2, 9a-5p)

Communications Skills and Engaging with Communities - Part 1 Talking with People, Delivering Unpopular Messages and Working in & with Communities (Thurs July 8, 9a-3p)

Communications Skills and Engaging with Communities - Part 2 Effective Presentations (Fri July 9, 8a-4p)

We look forward to seeing everyone in Edmonton!

Cheers,
Aletris Neils