[csdn-sa] Re: Telstra open source article

  • From: "Ryan Verner" <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cdsn sa <csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:03:54 +0930

> Would someone send me a copy of of this article please, as my 486
> can't run the latest browsers to look at it?\

Holy god, why are you still using a 486?  A Pentium can't be more then $50
these days?

Article below:
--
Telstra goes open-source
Michael Sainsbury and Kelly Mills

TELSTRA, Australia's largest technology company, has nailed its colours firmly
to the mast of open source software, creating a potential nightmare for
Microsoft and sending shivers through a range of traditional platform providers.

Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using two
flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at shifting up to
85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client technology.

Telstra chief information officer Jeff Smith said he was determined to end a
history of internal duplication and technology incompatibility by deploying
open-source software right across the telecoms giant, which spends $1.5
billion each year on information technology. He aims to slice this cost in
half within three years.

"I would see a big movement from Windows and Unix to Linux," Mr Smith said.
"One of the by-products of Linux having its heritage in Unix is that it is a
very stable operating system."