[CSA] CSA: SpotBeam California, July 28, 2008

  • From: Jamie Foster <jamie.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:12:23 -0700

SpotBeam California

Voice, Visibility, Edge

An e-publication of the California Space Authority (CSA).  SpotBeam items do not necessarily reflect the policy or opinions of CSA or its members and stakeholders.  Unsubscribe   Subscribe

July 28, 2008

NASA Will Struggle When Shuttle Retires, Says Griffin (Source: Guardian)
One might think Michael Griffin has much to celebrate. The agency he heads receives $17 billion a year and is buoyed up by the kind of public support Americans normally reserve for celebrities and gods. He has presidential backing for the most ambitious plan to take humankind into the solar system. Griffin wants to see American astronauts back on the moon by 2020, though many in the industry say the agency is loathe to let 2019 - the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing - pass without fresh prints on the surface. Early work will focus on creating a permanent moon base. From there, NASA will turn its sights on the incomparable task of a crewed mission to Mars.

But
Griffin has a problem, and it is one he is vexed by. To fly people to the moon, NASA must develop a new rocket. And to pay for it, the agency must cancel all future space shuttle flights. It means that from 2010, for around five years, the nation that beat the Soviet Union in the space race will not only be grounded, but will have to pay Russia for seats aboard Soyuz if it wants to visit the space station it bankrolled and built. Griffin likens the space station to an Antarctic research base, which needs a regular supply of food and water, which suffers technical glitches, and needs to have its staff rotated on a regular basis for their sanity if nothing else. Both the US and Russian space agencies agree that at a minimum, it needs two independent supply chains - read rockets - to ensure the safety of the station and those on board.

And then there is the election. The vision for moon and Mars is tightly associated with the Bush administration and while it has widespread support, the new president may well decide to tinker with it. The Republican candidate John McCain has emphasized the need to ensure taxpayers are getting good value from NASA, leading some to fear a return to the moon will be viewed as an expensive re-run of project Apollo. The Democrat Barack Obama has stated that NASA needs to be "redefined" and hopes to fund an $18 billion education program by delaying NASA's moonshot for five years. All of this, says
Griffin, should not shift NASA's sights on the moon and Mars. "We're on the right path and it is of course fragile, but I think it's crucial we remain on it. (7/25)

California Innovation Survey Open Now (Source: CSA)
Innovation is a key driver of our California economy. University of California at Riverside is leading a State-wide study on the factors that contribute to innovative behavior in California companies. We have put together a survey to better understand innovation, and would appreciate 15 minutes of your time in accomplishing this task. Please complete this survey online at: http://www.engr.ucr.edu/wired/survey.html

Buzz Aldrin Calls for Reevaluation of Constellation (Source: Houston Chronicle)
Just four years after President Bush announced his vision to send astronauts back to the moon and then on to Mars, legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin is leading an effort to re-examine the whole idea — in particular, NASA's choice of rockets for the mission. It is the latest sign that NASA's Constellation program — intended to replace the space shuttle after 2010 — is in trouble. Concerned by reports that the Ares rockets and Orion crew capsule are beset by cost overruns, schedule delays and complex technical woes, Aldrin says he wants to create a panel of experts to make sure that Constellation is the right way to go.

NASA's proposed Ares-1 and Ares-5 rockets were originally presented as relatively uncomplicated projects that would reuse technology from the space shuttle, Ares is now an almost completely new design. A NASA report made public last week said the agency will probably not meet its own internal goal of launching the rocket in 2013, and may even miss its publicly stated goal of a launch by 2015. However, NASA officials publicly insist the 2015 date is still on track. Aldrin said he wants the panel to look at the Direct 2.0 rocket, a design that would use the shuttle's giant external fuel tank and rocket boosters to launch the Orion capsule into space. Jake Garn, a former Republican senator from
Utah and the first member of Congress to fly in space, agrees. "We are not far enough down the road that we shouldn't consider other options while we're working on the current path," he said.

Aldrin compared the Ares situation to the development of the shuttle after the end of the Apollo program. "It was not wisely planned, it was under-funded and we rushed into another decision that left us with a gap," he said. "And the shuttle — as marvelous as it is — has not lived up to its expectations." Some space advocates fear that both Barack Obama and John McCain might latch onto any study as a way to scrap Constellation entirely. Obama has said he would like to postpone Constellation for five years and use the money for the Department of Education. McCain has said that he favors increasing NASA's budget — but also wants to freeze spending except for defense and homeland security.

"We need to stick with the mission but rethink some of the ways we implement it," said Aldrin. "It doesn't pay to stick with a bad idea." He has won some backers, including a prominent
Washington think tank and the backers of the Direct 2.0 design created by moonlighting NASA employees. But the space agency — and its allies on Capitol Hill — insists there's no need for more study. Meanwhile, the National Academy of Sciences is currently assembling a 14-member panel for a $400,000 study of the goals and rationale of the U.S. space program. Click here to view the article. (7/25)

What's Wrong with Ares I? (Source: New Scientist)
The Ares I design was intended to be cheap and relatively easy, as it was supposed to reuse as much technology from the space shuttle as possible. But that has not been the case, largely because it must carry up a relatively heavy crew capsule, says Roger Launius, head space historian at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. "The solid rocket booster was not designed to lift this kind of load or to have something stacked on top of it," he told New Scientist. One major problem is "jack hammer" vibrations caused by irregularities in the way the solid rocket motor burns fuel, though NASA says the problem is fixable. This and other concerns were highlighted in a NASA report made public last week that suggested NASA will probably not meet its own internal goal of launching the rocket in 2013, and may even miss its publicly stated goal of a launch by 2015. (7/21)

If You Want to Repeat Apollo, Do it Right (Source: New Scientist)
NASA's two new launchers are increasingly in big trouble, and may come to a bad end. Ares I, the small launcher designed to lift a crew capsule, is the centre of the problem. The original idea was to start with a shuttle solid rocket booster (SRB), and top it off with a small upper stage using a shuttle main engine (SSME). This plan had some flaws, but if it could be done easily and quickly, it looked passable if not ideal. Unfortunately, it hasn't been easy or quick. First the upper-stage engine was changed to the J-2S, the Apollo-era engine being revived for the big launcher, Ares V. This wasn't as fuel efficient, so the upper stage got fatter to hold more fuel. That was too heavy for the SRB, so Ares I would have to use the stretched "five-segment" SRB also planned for the big launcher. Click here to view the article. (7/22)

Moonlighting Engineers Design Alternative NASA Rocket (Source: New Scientist)
Recently, media reports have described a sort of "shadow army" of engineers who – in their spare time – are designing an alternative to NASA's future Ares rockets. Proponents of the DIRECT plan believe that the Ares rocket has strayed from its original Congressional mandate, set in 2005, to recycle as much technology from the shuttle as possible to keep costs low, the space workforce employed, and the window between the shuttle's retirement and the new vehicle as small as possible. The DIRECT plan uses two identical "Jupiter" rockets – one that would loft only cargo and the other that could carry crew – that are similar in design to a concept developed at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center after the Challenger shuttle disaster in 1986.

Like the shuttle launcher, each Jupiter rocket would have a liquid fuel tank and two solid rocket boosters. But unlike the shuttle system, Jupiter's liquid fuel tank would have two or three engines at its base and would carry its payload on top rather than on its side – a design that would prevent any insulating foam it might shed from damaging the crew capsule. Using only one type of rocket, the DIRECT team says, could save NASA $35 billion dollars because it's easier to develop and maintain a single type of vehicle. Visit http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn14364-moonlighting-engineers-design-alternative-nasa-rocket.html to view the article. (7/22)

Editorial: Shorten the Gap (Source: Houston Chronicle)
Don't allow the United States to be out of the human spaceflight business for five or more years. The last shuttle mission is scheduled for launch May 31, 2010. The shuttle Endeavour will leave Launch Pad 39A and carry vital spare parts to the International Space Station. When Endeavour returns, U.S. astronauts must depend on Russian space capsules to reach and return from the space station. One Soyuz capsule recently plunged to the ground hundreds of miles from the landing zone, casting doubt on the aging design's reliability.

NASA scientists and engineers have developed a long and apolitical rapport with their Russian counterparts. But continued cooperation is at the whim of anti-Western Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Perhaps unlikely, the risk is that Putin could play the space station card and force the United States to make an unwanted concession. Complicating the matter, the Government Accountability Office notes that NASA faces cost overruns and design difficulties with Constellation, the shuttle's replacement program. The GAO raised doubts whether NASA had enough money to fix design flaws in the Ares rocket and Orion crew capsule. (7/27)

The Moon is Not Enough (Source: Register)
NASA and its international aeronautical cohorts have some serious explaining to do before they start rocketing folks to the Moon again. They better convince the public why it's so important for our species to invest hand-over-fist just to root around some boring gray orbital dust ball - a dust ball we already stuck a flag in a full score and 19 years ago. Perhaps they're preaching to the choir, but this week a gathering of scientists are giving this sort of time-tested anti-space exploration diatribe a workout at the NASA/AMES Research Center in Mountain View, California. They're in Silicon Valley for the first (theoretically) annual Lunar Science Conference. It's being run by the newly-formed NASA Lunar Science Institute — whose job it will be make dust vapor studies look sexy while doling out $2m grants to teams of lucky researchers.

"Apollo was exciting... but been there done that," said one researcher. "We have enough problems on Earth to solve like climate change, hunger, and war." Furthermore, Mars and the search for life are more compelling. Titan and Europa are exotic challenges. The big bang, string theory and dark matter are more fundamental, she added. What good can studying the Moon do us? Visit
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/22/lunar_science_conference_08_part_2/ to view the article. (7/22)

McCain is Onboard for Bush's Space Mission; Obama May Be More Down to Earth (Source: LA Times)
We know how John McCain and Barack Obama are polling in the red states, the blue states, Europe, the Middle East, China and around the world. But how are the presidential candidates polling on Mars? Red Planet policy turns out to be one of the areas in which McCain and Obama present bright, clear policy differences. In short, McCain supports the vision for space exploration that President Bush articulated in 2004, with a vaguely defined ambition to send astronauts on to Mars before 2050. And the Democratic contender? Earlier this year, in a 15-page position paper detailing his ideas for education, Obama sneaked in the following line at the end: "The early education plan will be paid for by delaying the NASA Constellation program for five years."

Who's right? There's something to be said for pulling the plug on Constellation. The space agency should take a fresh look at its goals and practices, possibly even giving up its role as a driver in human space exploration and becoming a paying passenger on vehicles built and operated by foreign and private-sector organizations. This would leave NASA with more funds for the robotic exploration that has brought such vast rewards on a relatively small budget (and without risk to life and limb).

Fiscal realities and NASA's commitment to keeping its $17-billion budget flat already seem to be putting a limit on Constellation, but Bush's, and now McCain's, vision nicely balances realism and ambition. Yet it's Obama who is sounding like the more realistic, market-oriented candidate. His campaign said recently that Obama hopes to enhance NASA's role "in confronting the challenges we face here on Earth, including global climate change" and "to reach out and include international partners and engage the private sector to increase NASA's reach and provide real public economic benefits for the nation." (7/23)

Kennedy Versus Obama on Space (Source: Space Review)
While Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has been compared to John F. Kennedy, Obama has been far less supportive of human spaceflight today than Kennedy was nearly 50 years ago. Michael Huang makes the case for Obama to change course. Visit http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1171/1 to view the article. (7/21)

Alabama’s Rep. Cramer A Staunch Supporter for Defense and Space (Source: Huntsville Times)
Over his 18 years in Washington, D.C., U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer says his connection to defense, NASA and the Space Station has been huge. "In the early years, I had constant battles in defending the Space Station and with protecting NASA," Cramer says. "We won those battles, but it took going member to member asking for votes. It meant building support to preserve the station. One of those victories was won by one vote." In defense, early issues with the Redstone Arsenal arose with the base military realignment - or BRAC - rounds. The congressman says he immediately sought to tell the "Redstone story," often by showing its cooperatives with BRAC. (7/27)

Are We Driven to Explore? (Source: Space Review)
Many of the arguments constructed in support of spaceflight focus on the importance of exploration. Rand Simberg questions that focus and argues that it would be more effective to find other, more compelling arguments. Visit http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1174/1 to view the article. (7/21)

Will We Soon Find Life in the Heavens? (Source: US News & World Report)
Alien-hunting scientists have had an eventful year, and they're about to get busier. In just the past few months, life-friendly soil and ice turned up on Mars, astronomers bagged a trio of Earth-like planets in a distant star system, and scientists looking closer to home reported that certain hardy microbes thrive below Earth's ocean floor—a big clue that life may exist on planets that at first glance appear inhospitable. None of the findings shout, "Here be aliens!" but each report has stoked optimism among astrobiologists that they will discover life beyond Earth. Some leading stargazers, in fact, suspect we're now on the verge of learning that we're not alone—and that genesis wasn't a unique event. (7/24)

Can People Live on Mars? (Source: RIA Novosti)
The discovery of ice immediately under the surface of Mars is increasing the chances of finding life there. Water is more than the key to the origin of life. Water on Mars raises intriguing questions. Can people build settlements on Mars? Is it suitable for colonization? Can we learn more about our planet by studying the Martian climate? Did Mars go through the same geological processes as Earth? Water plays a major role in answering these questions, or, to be more precise, the possibility of a water cycle on Mars. Moreover, the chemical analysis of the samples of the Martian ground, performed by the onboard laboratory of the spacecraft, showed that they contain all elements required for the origin and maintenance of life. (7/26)

Moon-Walker Claims Alien Contact Cover-Up (Source: Daily Telegraph)
Former NASA astronaut and moon-walker Dr Edgar Mitchell - a veteran of the Apollo 14 mission - has stunningly claimed aliens exist. And he says extra-terrestrials have visited Earth on several occasions - but the alien contact has been repeatedly covered up by governments for six decades. Chillingly, he claimed our technology is "not nearly as sophisticated" as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned "we would be been gone by now".

"I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real," Dr Mitchell said. "It's been well covered up by all our governments for the last 60 years or so, but slowly it's leaked out and some of us have been privileged to have been briefed on some of it. "I've been in military and intelligence circles, who know that beneath the surface of what has been public knowledge, yes - we have been visited. Reading the papers recently, it's been happening quite a bit." (7/24)

Aliens? Moonwalker Believes (Source: Huntsville Times)
Dr. Edgar Mitchell, the sixth man to walk on the moon, has professed his belief that aliens exist and the government has covered up their visits to Earth. Not surprisingly, former NASA administrators and astronauts here give Mitchell's comments the same credence as the myth that the first moon walk was fake. Said Owen Garriott, who flew the Skylab 3 mission in 1973: "I'll give you three comments. First, he's a good friend of mine. Second, he's a very honest man. And third, he is laboring under self-delusion if he thinks he's seen extraterrestrial beings."

Ed Buckbee, former director of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center and a former aide to Dr. Wernher von Braun, said it's the first time an astronaut has commented on aliens or UFOs. He saw Mitchell last summer in Florida at a book-signing and autograph session at Kennedy Space Center. "He seemed to have all his marbles," Buckbee said. "He was alert and attuned to what was going on." Garriott, though, said he was already aware of Mitchell's views. "I know he's had similar thoughts (that) he has considered in the past," he said. (7/25)

European Team Discovers New Alien World (Source: Space.com)
Scientists have discovered a new Jupiter-sized planet orbiting around a distant sun-like star. This planet takes 9.2 days to orbit its star, the longest period for any transiting exoplanet ever found. The planet, called CoRoT-Exo-4b, was discovered by the European Space Agency's CoRoT space telescope, which was designed to search for extrasolar planets by looking for transits, or tiny dips in the light output from a star when a planet passes in front of it. (7/24)

Killer Asteroid Heading Our Way (Source: Russia Today)
Astronomers are battling to work out the trajectory of an asteroid that will cause havoc if it hits the Earth in 2036. Called Apophis, the giant meteor is hurtling through space at 10km per second. Scientists are warning that an impact would be far more devastating than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima at the end of WW2. At the Zvenigorod Observatory near Moscow, space researchers keep watch on cosmic bodies and study known meteorites to understand their size and inner structure. They are tracking the path of the asteroid Apophis as well. They aim to determine how real the danger is but that will only be clear in a decade's time.

Astronomer Sergey Barabanov explains the predicted course of events: “The critical moment will be in 2029, when Apophis passes so close to Earth that it will be visible to the naked eye. The consequence of this fly-by will tell us whether it will come back again and collide with us in 2036,” he said. If Apophis passes through a particular point in space called a keyhole the Earth's gravity may change its course for the worst. (7/25)

Nukes Are Not the Best Way to Stop an Asteroid (Source: WIRED)
Nuclear weapons could be used to stop earth-bound asteroids, but in most instances, they are not the best option, said Apollo astronaut Rusty Schweickart during a public lecture. The venerable scientist explained that all but the largest heavenly bodies can be redirected by rear-ending or towing them with an unmanned spacecraft. But last year, NASA issued a report stating that using nukes is the best strategy to prevent a catastrophic collision with earth.

Schweickart feels that NASA issued the misleading statement under immense political pressure. It was a nefarious excuse to put nuclear weapons in space. His own organization, the B612 Foundation, intends to use gentler tactics to alter the course of an asteroid by 2015. Right now, humans are not tracking most of the objects that could cause serious damage to earth, but in the next century, as powerful new telescopes come online, we will begin watching many of them. When that day comes, we will know which ones stand a chance of hitting earth, and it will be time to make some tough decisions. (7/27)

Makemake Makes the List (Source: Science News)
Pluto has yet another brother. The International Astronomical Union has accepted the name Makemake for the newest family member of dwarf planets and the subgroup plutoids. Makemake (pronounced MAH-kay MAH-kay) is two-thirds the size of Pluto and slightly dimmer than the former planet. The new object — formerly known as 2005 FY9 — also has a reddish tinge. The name was recently accepted by the IAU after discussions circulated via email. Formerly known as 2005 FY9, it is named after the Polynesian god of fertility and creator of humanity. (7/21)

Military Space Policy in 2012 (Source: Space Review)
What will the next four years bring to military space policy in the US and elsewhere? Taylor Dinerman predicts little in the way of major upheavals, but still some opportunities for the next administration to affect change. Visit http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1172/1 to view the article. (7/21)

Russia 'Could Answer U.S. Shield with Orbital Ballistic Missiles' (Source: RIA Novosti)
Russia could put in place an orbital ballistic missile system in response to U.S. missile defense plans for Central Europe, a senior Russian military expert said. The U.S. plans to deploy a radar in the Czech Republic and 10 interceptor missiles in northern Poland as part of a U.S. missile shield for Europe and North America against possible attacks from "rogue states," including Iran. Russia strongly opposes the possible deployment of the U.S. missile shield, viewing it as a threat to its national security. (7/24)

Soyuz Launches Russian Military Satellite (Source: SpaceToday.net)
A Soyuz 2 rocket placed a classified Russian satellite into orbit late Saturday. The Soyuz 2-1b rocket, a modernized version of the workhorse Soyuz vehicle, lifted off from the Plesetsk spaceport in northern Russia and placed the payload, Kosmos 2441, into a sun-synchronous orbit. The spacecraft is believed to be the first in a new generation of reconnaissance satellites called Persona. The launch, not announced in advance, was delayed a day because of software problems. The launch is the fifth for the Soyuz 2 family and the second of the 1b variant, which uses a new engine in its upper stage. (7/27)

Russia Launches German Military Satellite (Source: SpaceToday.net)
A Russian Kosmos rocket launched the fifth and final satellite in a German military radar satellite constellation on Tuesday. The Kosmos 3M rocket lifted off from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome at 10:40 pm EDT Monday (0240 GMT Tuesday) and placed the SAR-Lupe 5 satellite into a 550-kilometer orbit. The launch completes the SAR-Lupe constellation of spacecraft that will provide radar imagery for the German military. The satellites were all launched on Kosmos boosters between late 2006 and today. (7/22)

Russia to Start Assembly Work at European Spaceport (Source: Itar-Tass)
Assembly works on the prospective Soyuz launch pad at the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana will begin in the middle of August. The company is a key participant in the Soyuz Kourou project. Assembly work will start on August 10-15, as soon as the equipment is brought to the spaceport. The first Soyuz launch from Kourou is planned for spring 2009. Europe's spaceport is situated in the northeast of South America in French Guiana, an overseas department of France. (7/21)

Russia Dragging Feet Over Korean Rocket Launch (Source: Korea Times)
South Korean ambitions to launch the country’s first space rocket by Christmas might have to be put on hold for a few months. The Korean Aerospace Research Institute (KARI) had planned to send its Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), a carrier rocket designed for transporting satellites, into orbit on Dec. 21. However, with its Russian partner failing to deliver the ground test vehicle (GTV), a machine for testing the rocket engine and liquid-fueled propulsion system, in time, there is the possibility the launch date could be moved to next year. The Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center, which is providing the technology for the KSLV-1 project, was to send the GTV to Korea during this month. Now, KARI officials can’t give a date. (7/23)

Russia's Federal Space Agency Announces More ISS Modules (Source: Flight International)
While investigations continue into why two Russian Soyuz capsules' service modules failed to separate correctly before re-entry, the country's Federal Space Agency is planning new modules for the International Space Station. The additional ISS modules were announced by FSA chief Anatoly Perminov at a heads of agency meeting in Paris on 17 July. NASA's Space Shuttle launch manifest details three modules. The Mini Research Module 2 (MRM2), being delivered by a Russian launcher in 2009, the MRM1 that is installed by NASA's Space Shuttle Discovery's crew on mission STS-132 in 2010 and a Proton rocket-delivered multipurpose laboratory module targeted for 2011. The Shuttle mission STS-132 is described as a contingency, but NASA has recently said that it will fly both its contingency missions, STS-132 and STS-133. (7/22)

Russian/European Manned Spaceship Design Unveiled (Source: BBC)
The first official image of a Russian-European manned spacecraft has been unveiled. It is designed to replace the Soyuz vehicle currently in use by Russia and will allow Europe to participate directly in crew transportation. The reusable ship was conceived to carry four people towards the Moon, rivaling the US Ares/Orion system. Click here to view a graphic of the vehicle. (7/22)

Europe Aims for Manned Capsule by 2020 (Source: Flight International)
A €300 million ($475 million) three-year Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) Advanced Return Vehicle (ARV) development project, to be proposed to the European Space Agency's November ministerial meeting, could become a stepping stone to a human transport system in 2020. ESA wants to evolve its expendable 20,000kg (44,000lb) ATV, which docked with the International Space Station for the first time in April, into an EADS Astrium Ariane 5-launched ARV. That cargo vehicle would be the basis for the manned system operating around 2020.

ESA will design ARV with a view to man-rating it in future. The cargo version will be about 5,000kg lighter than the Ariane 5's low-Earth orbit capability to allow for the future addition of a launch abort tower. The ARV, with up to 1,500kg downmass capacity, would be operational by 2015. Its use assumes an extension of the International Space Station's lifespan beyond 2016, which the outpost's space agency partners said they wanted in their 17 July joint statement. (7/21)

In Ireland, It is Rocket Science – European Style (Source: Silicon Republic)
Ireland currently contributes €13m per year to the European Space Agency (ESA), enabling Irish companies and researchers to secure ESA contracts, Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation. Ireland has been a participant in the European launcher development program since the early 1980s, having been involved in the Ariane 4 launcher and the current European (heavy lift) Ariane 5 launcher. Currently, the main Irish industrial involvement in the European launchers program is by Marotta Ireland, which provides support struts for the engine mounting on Ariane 5. A number of emerging Irish technology companies, supported by the ESA and Enterprise Ireland, are currently developing highly innovative technologies for the further evolution of the Ariane or the next-generation launcher to be developed in Europe. (7/23)

Italian Space Agency President Ousted in Shakeup (Source: Space News)
The Italian government apparently has dismissed the president of the Italian Space Agency (ASI) following the resignation of six of seven ASI administrators in what looks to be an overhaul that will lead to the appointment of a Finmeccanica senior vice president as the agency's president, Italian government officials said July 21. (7/22)

Kayser-Threde To Build German Technology Satellite (Source: Space News)
GmbH will build Germany's TET-1 technology-demonstration satellite, which will be launched in 2010 under a contract that also includes launch services, Munich-based Kayser-Threde announced July 24. Under the contract with the German Aerospace Center, DLR, valued at 21 million euros ($33 million), Kayser-Threde will build the 120-kilogram TET-1 satellite and integrate its 11 experiments. TET-1 is scheduled for launch in mid-2010 as a piggyback payload aboard a Soyuz rocket operated from Europe's Guiana Space Center spaceport in French Guiana. (7/26)

Chile Reaches Deal With Europe’s EADS-Astrium To Buy Satellite (Source: Wall Street Journal)
The Chilean government signed an agreement with European aerospace group EADS-Astrium to buy a satellite valued at $70 million. (7/27)

Eumetsat Signs with Arianespace for 2013 Launch (Source: Space News)
A European Ariane 5 rocket or a European version of Russia's Soyuz vehicle will launch the MSG-4 meteorological satellite for Europe's Eumetsat organization in January 2013 under a contract signed here July 21. (7/22)

Europe’s Arianespace Chosen to Launch MSG-4 Weather Satellite (Source: Arianespace)
EUMETSAT and Arianespace signed a launch Service & Solutions contract for the MSG-4 meteorological observation satellite in Kourou, French Guiana. The MSG-4 satellite is scheduled for launch in the first half of 2013 by an Ariane 5 or Soyuz launcher, from the Guiana Space Center, Europe's Spaceport, in French Guiana. (7/22)

NASA Not Discussing Japanese Cargo Support Procurement for Space Station (Source: NASA)
Contrary to recent news reports, NASA has not officially or unofficially been discussing the purchase of H-II Transfer Vehicles (HTV) -- uninhabited resupply cargo ships for the space station -- from the Japanese Space Agency, or JAXA. NASA is committed to domestic commercial cargo resupply to the space station and does not plan to procure cargo delivery services from Japan. (7/21)

India Signs Agreement with US to Carry out Lunar Exploration (Source: Press Trust of India)
India, along with seven other countries, has signed a landmark agreement with the United States to carry out lunar exploration. The agreement was signed at NASA's Ames Research Center. Apart from India, the countries which signed the pact with the US are Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and South Korea. The agreement, which lays the groundwork for a new generation of lunar exploration, will see a multinational fleet of robot spacecraft returning to the moon in coming years, with countries like India, Germany and South Korea playing key roles. It also allows NASA to share costs. While the United States has budgeted money for four lunar spacecraft, scientists want up to eight landers on the surface. (7/27)

China To Build World-Class Space Industry in Seven Years (Source: Xinhua)
China aims to attain the world level in space technology development by building a comprehensive aerospace industry by 2015, the country's Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) said. According to a blueprint released by the state-owned company, CASTC was to set up four more scientific research and production bases including Tianjin, Inner Mongolia and Hainan. The move would enable China to have eight space industry bases nationwide. At present, it has four bases respectively in Beijing, Shanghai, Shanxi and Sichuan. (7/25)

China Aims for Bigger Slice of Satellite Market (Source: Reuters)
China aims to build a leading aerospace industry by 2015, when the country would command 10 percent of the world's commercial satellite market, and 15 percent of the commercial space launch market. Beijing was planning to double the number of aerospace scientific research and production bases to eight, according to a blueprint released by state-owned China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC). (7/25)

International Space Race Heats Up as More Players Jump In (Source: Fox News)
As NASA's space-shuttle program nears its official end in 2010, space exploration has become an increasingly global competition. The Europeans, Russians, Chinese and others are competing for bragging rights to develop the next generation of manned spacecraft. NASA’s Constellation program, designed both to replace the space shuttle and get America back to the moon and on to Mars, has gotten a lot of publicity — and a lot of flak — as it threatens to go over budget and behind schedule. Meanwhile, the Europeans and Russians have teamed up to create their own platform, the Chinese are continually upgrading their vehicles and the Japanese and Indians are mulling their own manned space flights. Visit http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391480,00.html to view the article. (7/25)

SpaceX Prepares For Third Launch (Source: Aerospace Daily)
After two unsuccessful attempts to reach orbit, Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) is preparing to launch its third Falcon 1 booster, but says the flight is "not make or break" for the privately funded startup company. Flight 3 is on the pad at Kwajalein in the Pacific being prepared for a launch "in the coming weeks," says Larry Williams, the company's vice president of strategic relations, adding: "We don't have a firm date." (7/23)

July 29 Date Expected for Next Falcon 1 Launch (Source: SpaceFlightNow.com)
The SpaceX Falcon 1 rocket will launch the Jumpstart mission for the U.S. Air Force Operationally Responsive Space initiative. The Jumpstart mission will fly the Trailblazer spacecraft built by SpaceDev, Inc. The mission was delayed from late June. (7/26)

Space Rocket Tests Being Done in Central Texas (Source: KCEN)
Central Texas has become a proving ground for a new generation of space flight. NASA has contracted with a company called Space Exploration Technologies or Space-X to build rockets to take cargo and possibly humans to the International Space Station. Those rockets are being tested at a site in the McLennan County town of McGregor. California based space-x is testing a series of rockets like the Falcon 1 to launch satellites into orbit and eventually the much larger Falcon 9 with its 9 Merlin rocket engines to launch other cargo. (7/25)

Orbital Gets $7.5 Million Missile Defense Contract (Source: Space News)
Orbital Sciences Corp. has received a $7.5 million sole-source contract from the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) for a foreign military sale to provide a target missile to Japan. The medium-range test missile will be used in Japan's third test of its ship-based Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System. Work on the target is expected to be completed by January 2010. Japan successfully conducted its first intercept test of the system in December and has another planned for late this year. The contract includes an option for one addition test missile at the same price. (7/26)

Orbital Sciences Weighs Human-Rating Taurus 2 (Source: Space News)
Orbital Sciences Corp. is studying what it would take to launch people aboard its planned Taurus 2 medium-lift rocket, according to a source inside the company. Orbital shifted Taurus 2 development into high gear in February after NASA awarded the company $171 million under the Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program to demonstrate an ability to ferry cargo to and from the international space station. Orbital is shooting for a late 2010 demonstration flight of Taurus 2 and its Cygnus space tug.

Orbital's COTS proposal, unlike that of Hawthorne, Calif.-based Space Exploration Technologies — the only other NASA-funded COTS contender — did not include an option for conducting a crewed demonstration flight. NASA to date has been unenthusiastic about funding crew-carrying demo flights before one or both COTS contenders show that they can safely deliver cargo. However, legislation currently before Congress could force NASA to fund such a flight as a hedge against long-term reliance on Soyuz vehicles for transporting U.S. astronauts to and from the station.

An Orbital source told Space News that the company in early July began an internal study intended to identify the costs associated with human-rating the Taurus 2 and modifying the Cygnus system to carry a two-person crew. The source said the main market Orbital has in mind is space tourism but that a human-rated Taurus 2 also could be used for space station crew rotation flights if demand warrants. (7/26)

Uncertain Futures (Source: Space Review)
Both civil and commercial spaceflight appears to be approaching a turning point, thanks to events ranging from the retirement of the shuttle to the development of commercial suborbital vehicles. Jeff Foust reports that what remains unclear is the direction and magnitude of the impending changes. Visit http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1173/1 to view the article. (7/21)

New Space Race Heats Up with Unveiling of Aircraft (Source: AP)
Aerospace engineers have been holed up in a Mojave Desert hangar for four years, fashioning a commercial spaceship to loft rich tourists some 62 miles above Earth. Now the wraps come partially off the top-secret project. British billionaire Sir Richard Branson and American aerospace designer Burt Rutan are due Monday to show off their mothership, which is designed to air launch a passenger-toting spaceship out of the atmosphere.

The rollout — a year after a deadly accident at Rutan's test site — marks the start of a rigorous flight test program that space tourism advocates hope will climax with the first suborbital joy rides by the end of the decade. More than 250 wannabe astronauts have paid $200,000 or put down deposits for a chance to float weightless for a mere five minutes. (7/27)

Neglecting Safety Could Nip Space Tourism in the Bud (Source: New Scientist)
Space tourism operators need to get real about the extraordinary risks they face, the FAA warned last week. George Nield, head of the FAA unit that regulates commercial human space flight safety, said many civil companies presented their efforts as pioneering a "golden age". For example, the X Prize Foundation, which backed the $10 million prize for the first civilian spacecraft to reach sub-orbit, has often likened the race to Charles Lindbergh's 1927 transatlantic flight which set off the golden era of aviation.

"What's going on now represents a very different level of risk," Nield told the Space Frontier Foundation's annual meeting in Washington DC. If you have to draw parallels, he said, look to the early supersonic jets, such as the F-104 Starfighter, dubbed the Widowmaker, which took the lives of 110 pilots of the Luftwaffe alone. Neglecting safety could mean "an end to commercial human space flight before it has chance to get started", he warned. (7/25)

New Mexico County Poised to Block State from Spaceport Board (Source: Las Cruces Sun-News)
Doña Ana County commissioners on Tuesday will vote on a proposed contract setting up a spaceport tax district, which will oversee spaceport tax dollars from the county. The proposed contract is at odds with an initial proposal for the district by the New Mexico Spaceport Authority. Kent Evans, county commission chairman, said he doesn't "foresee any big problems" relating to the commission's consideration of the contract Tuesday. He expects it to be approved. "The state won't be happy with that," he said. "I think the biggest deal is Sierra (County), and us — we don't feel the state should be in total control of it. We should all have an equal voice." (7/21)

New Mexico Spaceport Tax District OK'd (Source: Las Cruces Sun-News)
The Doña Ana County Commission on Tuesday voted to join a spaceport district with Sierra County, despite the concerns of two commissioners about details of the agreement. The commission agreed 3-2 to approve a contract creating the district, a precursor to the collection of a county spaceport sales tax. The district will exist to channel county sales tax dollars to the New Mexico Spaceport Authority to repay bonds for the $198 million spaceport. (7/23)

Orion's Max Launch Abort System Test Set at Wallops Island, Virginia (Source: Spaceports Blog)
The Orion space capsule now being designed as NASA's next human spacecraft may have a new launch escape system if tests now underway at NASA Wallops Flight Facility this year prove positive. The Max Launch Abort System (M-LAS) tests will provide data to the NASA Engineering and Safety Center which is charged with evaluating a potential alternate design for the launch abort system of NASA's Orion crew exploration vehicle. The M-LAS concept will be validated by conducting an unmanned pad-abort test at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia this fall 2008. (7/24)

California Governor Praises NASA's 'Superstar' in Fire Effort (Source: CSA)
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger credited an unmanned NASA aircraft Monday with helping save the Sierra foothills town of Paradise from a wildfire last week, calling the plane "one of the most exciting new weapons in our firefighting arsenal." Schwarzenegger was at NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View, getting a behind-the-scenes look at the help the aircraft has given to crews fighting more than 1,700 blazes that have blackened 829,000 acres of California this fire season. (7/25)

NASA Center in Ohio Eyes Moon (Source: Cleveland.com)
Before NASA astronauts rocket to Mars, they're supposed to return to the moon in a sweet new ride to test-drive everything from high-tech maps and buggies to new spacesuits and next-generation power sources. "We're going to use the moon as a proving ground to go on to Mars and other destinations," said Stephen N. Simons, associate director of Lunar Systems at NASA Glenn Research Center, which is working on a host of projects with scientists from universities in Ohio and across the country. (7/22)

KSC Workforce Focused on Safe Flyout (Source: Space News)
Kennedy Space Center Director Bill Parsons said employees of the Florida launch operations center understandably are worried about the space shuttle's looming 2010 retirement, but remain focused on the safe and successful execution of the program's 10 remaining flights. "Right now they are okay. I'm really more worried about next summer," Parsons said. "I think next summer we'll start to feel that mood change a little bit as they decide they need to go find something to do to support their families."

Parsons said younger employees by and large appear willing to stick around in hopes of finding a job in support of the Constellation program, while Kennedy's retirement-eligible employees are content to see the shuttle program through to its completion. Parsons said he is hearing the job-related anxiety most from Kennedy's mid-career employees with children in college and mortgages to pay. (7/26)

High-Quality NASA Positions Boost Salary Average (Source: Florida Today)
Want to earn more money? Getting a job with the federal government might be a good start. Government payroll data for most federal employees in Brevard County reveals that they made more than twice as much as private sector workers here. The presence of Kennedy Space Center and its cadre of uniquely skilled specialty workers who command above-average pay drives the difference. The big investment in people highlights why the looming retirement of the space shuttle and the transition to a new moon program is getting so much attention from government and economic development leaders.

Federal workers in Brevard on average earned $85,984 in 2007. Overall, Brevard workers earned an average of $39,230 last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. NASA was the largest federal employer locally with 2,199 workers. They earned on average $91,383 in 2007. The federal government directly employs few of the service-sector workers who make up a large portion of the workforce locally. Instead, most of those jobs -- such as security guards, food-service workers and general maintenance -- have been farmed out to private contractors. (7/25)

Florida Teachers' Summer: Space Technology Training (Source: Florida Today)
Carleen Beard is learning valuable lessons this summer; not about recreation and travel, but about technology. The fourth-grade science teacher is learning about life support in space, to be exact, and will bring the lessons back to her Freedom 7 Elementary classroom this fall. Her on-the-job training at Wyle Labs at Kennedy Space Center is part of the Summer Industrial Fellowships for Teachers program, which gives local teachers opportunities to learn about technology in a hands-on fashion.

"When we go out to the industry, we're supposed to capture different experiences that we learn on the job and take back to the classroom," Beard said. The SIFT Program provides teachers with seven weeks of training, from early June to late July. This summer, 27 teachers are participating locally. They work at various local companies such as United Space Alliance, L3 Communications, and United Launch Alliance, among others. At the end of the program, the teachers gather to discuss ways they can use what they've learned in their classrooms. (7/24)

Embry-Riddle on State-Funded Aero-Propulsion Center Team (Source: Tallahassee Democrat)
A multi-university team led by Florida State University has been given the job of coordinating efforts to turn university research in aerospace and aviation into commercial enterprise. FSU will be home to the new Florida Center for Advanced Aero-Propulsion (FCAAP), a collaboration of researchers in aerospace and aviation that will work with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the University of Central Florida and the University of Florida to create viable companies. The FCAAP is one of only two Centers of Excellence created by the Florida Legislature during its 2008 regular session. (7/21)

Scientists Gather to Exchange Ideas on Future Lunar Exploration (Source: AIA)
Hundreds of scientists and engineers gathered at the NASA Lunar Science Conference to discuss proposals for new tools that will study the moon's structure. They also planned robotic missions to the moon which will lay the groundwork for future manned missions to the moon and to Mars. (7/22)

Ohio State University: Project to Develop GPS-Like System for Moon (Source: OSU)
The same Ohio State University researcher who is helping rovers navigate on Mars is leading a new effort to help humans navigate on the moon. When NASA returns to the moon -- the space agency has set a target date of 2020 to do so -- astronauts won't be able to use a global positioning system (GPS) to find their way around, explained Ron Li, the Lowber B. Strange Designated Professor of civil and environmental engineering and geodetic science. (7/21)

UH Researcher: Humans Could Live on Mars 'Within 25 Years' (Source: Australian Broadcasting Corp.)
A professor at Hawaii's Institute of Geophysics and Planetology says humans could be living on Mars within 25 years. He says humans could be living on the moon within 15 years, and if basic life supports like oxygen and water can be secured, humans could colonize Mars within 25 years. (7/23)

CalTech: Intelligent Space Robots will Explore Universe by 2020 (Source: Computerworld)
Before the year 2020, scientists are expected to launch intelligent space robots that will venture out to explore the universe for us. Researchers are working on creating autonomous spacecraft that will be able to analyze data about points of interest as it passes and then make quick decisions about what needs to be investigated, according to Wolfgang Fink, a physicist and senior researcher at the California Institute of Technology. (7/24)

Space Scientists at UCLA Solve Mystery Behind Aurora Borealis (Source: UCLA)
UCLA space scientists and colleagues have identified the mechanism that triggers substorms in space; wreaks havoc on satellites, power grids and communications systems; and leads to the explosive release of energy that causes the spectacular brightening of the aurora borealis, also known as the northern lights. For 30 years, there have been two competing theories to explain the onset of these substorms, which are energy releases in the Earth's magnetosphere, said Vassilis Angelopoulos, a UCLA professor of Earth and space sciences and principal investigator of the NASA-funded mission known as THEMIS (Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms).

One theory is that the trigger happens relatively close to Earth, about one-sixth of the distance to the moon. According to this theory, large currents building up in the space environment, which is composed of charged ions and electrons, or "plasma," are suddenly released by an explosive instability. The plasma implodes toward Earth as the space currents are disrupted, which is the start of the substorm. (7/24)

California Researcher: Worm Pincers May Inspire Better Spacecraft Materials (Source: New Scientist)
The ultra-strong mouthparts of Nereis virens (aka the sandworm or ragworm) could be the key to developing a new class of tough, lightweight materials for airplanes and spacecraft. The worm uses its jaws and pincers to burrow into the shallow-water sediments of the North Atlantic. Its jaws are made up of about 90% protein, which should make them no more resistant to buckling and penetration than a human fingernail. But the protein is fortified with metal, creating a material that is three times harder and stiffer than current manmade polymers. A University of California biologist discovered the nature of the worm's super-pincers.(7/21)

Harvest the Sun — From Space (Source: New York Times)
As we face $4.50 a gallon gas, we also know that alternative energy sources — coal, oil shale, ethanol, wind and ground-based solar — are either of limited potential, very expensive, require huge energy storage systems or harm the environment. There is, however, one potential future energy source that is environmentally friendly, has essentially unlimited potential and can be cost competitive with any renewable source: space solar power. Science fiction? Actually, no — the technology already exists. A space solar power system would involve building large solar energy collectors in orbit around the Earth. These panels would collect far more energy than land-based units, which are hampered by weather, low angles of the sun in northern climes and, of course, the darkness of night.

Once collected, the solar energy would be safely beamed to Earth via wireless radio transmission, where it would be received by antennas near cities and other places where large amounts of power are used. The received energy would then be converted to electric power for distribution over the existing grid. Government scientists have projected that the cost of electric power generation from such a system could be as low as 8 to 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is within the range of what consumers pay now. Visit http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/opinion/23smith.html to view the article. (7/23)

NASA Aims to Move Up Shuttle Launch Dates (Source: Florida Today)
NASA is looking to move up the launch dates for its next two shuttle missions by almost a week each to increase the chances that the second flight -- an International Space Station supply run -- can be sent up before a window of opportunity closes in late November. But it's unlikely NASA will be able to advance the planned Oct. 8 launch of a Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission more than a couple of days, and a proposed six-day move in the planned Nov. 10 launch of the station logistics mission would put liftoff of that flight on the same day as the 2008 presidential election. (7/22)

NASA Moves Up Key Dates for Launch (Source: Florida Today)
NASA aims to accelerate the campaign to launch shuttle Atlantis in October by moving major pre-launch milestones up about four days each. If all goes well, the Atlantis move to the assembly building would come around Aug. 18 rather than Aug. 22. Rollout to the pad would come around Aug. 25. NASA wants to move up its next two launches to make sure the second flies before a window of opportunity closes in late November. (7/26)

Lockheed Martin Receives $42 Million NASA Extension on Cargo Mission Contract (Source: Lockheed Martin)
NASA recently announced it awarded Lockheed Martin a one-year contract extension of the Cargo Mission Contract (CMC) valued at $42 million. The extension provides integration services for cargo delivery to and from the International Space Station (ISS). The extension begins Oct. 1, 2008, and is the first of two options in the original contract. (7/24)

Lockheed Martin Team Demonstrates High Power Electric Propulsion System (Source: CSA)
Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, partners in the Transformational Satellite Communications System (TSAT) Space Segment team has completed a successful demonstration of its new-generation High Power Hall Current Thruster (HPHCT) electric propulsion system designed for use on the Air Force's TSAT constellation. TSAT will provide thousands of military users with wideband, highly mobile, beyond line-of-sight protected communications to support network-centric operations for the future battlefield. (7/25)

MDA Receives NASA Grant to Commercialize Crop Insurance Evaluation and Hedging Tool (Source: MDA)
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates has been awarded a prestigious NASA Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences (ROSES) Grant in the amount of $681,000. Under this three year grant, MDA Federal will employ NASA assets to improve and commercialize a crop insurance decision making tool called InsuranceVision. When completed this tool will present a wide range of agricultural producers the ability to evaluate and optimize crop insurance and risk management decisions. (7/22)

Contractors Blast Awarding of NASA Spacesuit Deal (Source: Houston Business Journal)
A $180 million spacesuit contract awarded by NASA to Houston-based Oceaneering International Inc. last month has been called into question by the incumbent companies that lost out on the bid. Hamilton Sundstrand, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., and its partner, ILC Dover, filed a protest with the U.S. Government Accountability Office on July 14. The two companies, which have made spacesuits for NASA since the Apollo Program of the 1960s, said in their complaint that they did not get adequate information from NASA about how the contract award decision was made. (7/25)

NASA, USDA Sign Space Station Research Agreement (Source: NASA)
On Wednesday, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Tex.) hosted NASA Administrator Michael Griffin and Secretary of Agriculture Edward T. Schafer during the signing of a memorandum of understanding to enable the USDA's Agricultural Research Service to conduct plant related research on the International Space Station. The research will improve our understanding of biological cellular mechanisms and may lead to creative new ways to improve American agriculture, protect the environment and contribute to better human health. The agreement reflects NASA's ongoing efforts to develop the space station as a national laboratory, with the ability to serve a broad range of users. (7/23)

House Committee Seeks Information From FAA on Ending of Aviation Safety Survey (Source: SpaceRef.com)
The House Committee on Science and Technology Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight Chairman Brad Miller (D-NC) sent a letter to the Acting Director of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) calling on him to work with NASA to reestablish a program to survey professionals in the air traffic system for better insight into air safety problems. (7/25)

NASA Report Clears O'Keefe's Name (Source: Daily Reveille)
NASA officials have decided there was no intentional wrongdoing by former NASA administrator and former Chancellor Sean O'Keefe involving allegations of inappropriate travel. But a recent NASA report declared two trips in 2003 and 2004 - one for a speaking engagement at Syracuse and one for a ceremony naming O'Keefe one of the top 100 Irish Americans - as "wasteful spending." NASA Chief Financial Officer Ronald Spoehel said NASA will not attempt to recoup travel costs from O'Keefe. O'Keefe served as LSU's chancellor from January 2005 until January 2008. He resigned in January and was recently named the head of General Electric's aviation operations in Washington D.C. (7/24)

Nude Artist Floats Free in Zero-G (Source: WIRED)
Bradley Pitts let it all hang out on the Russian Ilyushin 76 weightless trainer aircraft July 9th just outside of Moscow. After six years in the making, his vision of using the experience of weightlessness as a meditation finally came to fruition. But the 20 parabolas Pitts experienced in Russia were not his first. The artist was also a propulsion engineer during the weightless testing of the MIT SPHERES project, now onboard the International Space Station. He wanted to experience the pure sensation of weightlessness and opted to surrender his other senses to be able to fully immerse himself in space. He closed his eyes, wore earplugs and just let his body drift through space. "Blind, deaf, and nude is definitely the way to experience parabolic flight!" Pitts said. (7/24)

Rocket Racers Boosted by Fashion (Source: MSNBC)
Do rocket planes and men's fashions ever mix? The Rocket Racing League and DKNY certainly hope so: They've struck a sponsorship deal that will give ample exposure to DKNY's fashion brand on the league's flight suits and one of the rocket racers. It's one more example showing how the league's rocketeers are following the model set in auto racing. NASCAR teams have long festooned their uniforms with sponsors' logos - and the organizers of the Rocket Racing League want to work that into their business model as well. (7/22)

Space Angels Network Issues a Call for Applicant Companies (Source: Space Angels)
Space Angels Network, LLC, a national network of seed- and early-stage investors focused on aerospace-related ventures, has issued a Call for Applicant Companies to its first Aerospace Venture Forum to be held in Los Angeles on September 26, 2008. The Forum will be a full-day event that showcases promising aerospace ventures and allows entrepreneurs to present their investment opportunities to an exclusive audience of active accredited investors. Visit http://www.spaceangelsnetwork.com for information. (7/21)

FCC Still Haggles Over XM-Sirius (Source: Wall Street Journal)
Three votes have now been cast in the Federal Communications Commission's review of the XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. merger, but the deal is still no closer to being done. Democratic FCC commissioner Michael Copps voted against the deal Monday night. (7/22)

FCC Ready to Approve XM-Sirius Merger (Source: SpaceToday.net)
The FCC is expected to approve the long-delayed merger of satellite radio companies XM and Sirius as soon as this week. Four of the five FCC commissioners have voted on the proposed merger and are deadlocked at 2-2, but the fifth, Deborah Taylor Tate, is expected to vote in favor of the merger. Her vote is expected to come with minor conditions, including a $20-million fine on the companies for failing to make their radios interoperable, that are not expected to disrupt the merger. XM and Sirius announced their merger plans in February 2007 but have been stuck in limbo for months waiting for regulatory approval. The proposed merger passed an antitrust review by the Justice Department earlier this year. (7/24)

XM-Sirius: Land Mines Aplenty (Source: Business Week)
A lot can happen in 17 months, especially when it comes to the digital music landscape. In the stretch between when Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio first announced their merger and it got final approval from regulators on July 25, the competitive field got crowded for the two satellite radio companies. The state of the economy worsened, forcing folks to think twice about spending on such services as $12.95 a month for radio. Advertising was pinched. And sales of new cars, many that include factory-installed satellite radios, tanked. Meanwhile, products that offer music to listeners, some for free, just kept coming. (7/26)

XM Radio Predicts Quarterly Loss Even as Its Customer Base Grows (Source: Washington Post)
XM Satellite Radio expects losses of as much as $38 million in the second quarter and would have to refinance debt as it waits for final regulatory approval of its merger with Sirius Satellite Radio. The D.C. company also reported that it gained 322,000 subscribers in the quarter, most of whom joined through the sale of promotional radio subscriptions that come automatically with the purchase of some cars. XM's total subscriber count is at 9.65 million, a 17 percent jump from the corresponding period last year. (7/22)

DirecTV-Dish Next to Merge? (Source: Hollywood Reporter)
With the XM-Sirius merger finally approved, expect to see revived chatter on Wall Street about a possible DirecTV-Dish Network combination. If the big two satellite radio companies can merge, why shouldn't the big two satellite TV firms do the same? Indeed, in a legal system based on precedents, the XM-Sirius deal approval opens the door for a possible DirecTV-Dish merger. However, there are at least two arguments against a DirecTV-Dish deal during the near term. First, regulators blocked such a deal a few years ago, and some argue the marketplace hasn't changed enough yet to convince regulators this time. And second, there is no natural seller for now. (7/24)

Harbinger, Inmarsat Break Off Takeover Talks (Source: Space News)
Inmarsat and its biggest investor, Harbinger Capital Partners, have ended preliminary discussions on a Harbinger purchase of the London-based mobile satellite services operator two weeks after the talks had begun, both companies announced July 21. Birmingham, Ala.-based Harbinger said regulatory issues surrounding the possible purchase could take 18 months to resolve, leading the company to suspend takeover talks and the kind of due-diligence negotiations that would have led to a buyout-price offer to Inmarsat's board and shareholders. (7/22)

Court Sides with Insurers in Boeing Telesat Loss (Source: Space News)
Boeing's satellite division has lost the first round in a battle with its insurers over whether the company's insurance policy covers losses for "breach of contract, gross negligence and willful misconduct" that could potentially result from Boeing's arbitration dispute with satellite-fleet operator Telesat Canada. The Circuit Court of Cook County, Ill., has agreed with Boeing's insurers that Boeing's insurance policy does not automatically cover losses resulting from the Telesat dispute. Telesat Canada and its insurers are demanding more than $385 million in damages and $10 million in lost profits from Boeing relating to the in-orbit failure of the Anik F1 telecommunications satellite, one of the six first-generation Boeing 702 satellites that contained a design defect in the solar array. (7/26)

Boeing's 2Q Profit Falls 19 Percent (Source: AP)
Delays hurt Boeing Co.'s second-quarter profit, which fell 19 percent because of late delivery of military aircraft and rising costs from the postponed introduction of its 787 jetliner. Boeing posted profits of $852 million for the three months ended June 30, compared with $1.05 billion a year earlier. Revenue remained essentially flat at $17 billion. (7/23)

Lockheed Posts Stronger Q2 Profit, Boosts Outlook (Source: AIA)
Profits at Lockheed Martin rose from $778 million in the 2007 second quarter to $882 million in the 2008 second quarter. Sales were up from $10.6 billion to $11 billion. The company boosted its outlook for the full year from its previous estimate of $7.15 to $7.35 per share to $7.45 to $7.60 per share. (7/22)

General Dynamics Reports Strong Earnings, Backlog Growth in Q2-2008 (Source: General Dynamics)
General Dynamics reported second-quarter 2008 earnings from continuing operations of $641 million, compared with 2007 second-quarter earnings from continuing operations of $518 million. Revenues grew to $7.3 billion in the quarter, a 10.8 percent increase over second-quarter 2007 revenues of $6.6 billion. Net earnings were equal to earnings from continuing operations of $641 million. (7/23)

Aerospace Sales Help Raise Honeywell's Q2 Profit 18% (Source: AIA)
Growth in aerospace sales helped push up Honeywell International's second-quarter profit by 18%. The company reported income of $723 million. It continues to expect double-digit earnings growth for the second half of this year. (7/21)

Raytheon Says Q2 Profit Falls, Cites Sales of Aircraft Unit (Source: AIA)
Raytheon on Thursday said its second-quarter profit declined from $1.34 million in 2007 to $426 million this year. The company attributed the decline to the sale of its aircraft unit. It also boosted its earnings outlook for the rest of the year. (7/25)

Spacehab Moves Headquarters Within Houston (Source: Houston Business Journal)
Spacehab Inc. has relocated its corporate headquarters in an effort to streamline its operations. The commercial space services provider has moved from Webster to Houston. The new office is in the Clear Lake area and close to NASA’s Johnson Space Center. The new facility accommodates the firm’s ongoing fabrication and manufacturing operations, the company said, allowing Spacehab to continue its efforts in prototype, mockup and flight hardware development and production. (7/24)

Biggest Annual U.S. Air Show to Salute NASA's 50th Anniversary (Source: NASA)
NASA's 50th anniversary celebration continues this summer with special recognition at EAA AirVenture 2008, the United States' biggest annual air show, held in Oshkosh, Wis., July 28 - Aug. 3. One of the Experimental Aircraft Association activities commemorating five decades of NASA's aerospace achievements will be an appearance by NASA Administrator Michael Griffin. (7/23)

KSC to Host Space and Air Show in November (Source: The Avion)
After the enormous success of last year's World Space Expo at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Complex and NASA causeway, officials have announced a second event this fall at the facility. From November 7-9, 2008, the KSC Visitors Complex will host the Space and Air Show. Headlining the event will be the United States Navy Demonstration Team the Blue Angels. This event will mark the team's second appearance at Kennedy Space Center since the mid 70's. The first event where the demonstration squadron performed was the U.S. Bicentennial Exposition on Science and Technology on July 20, 1976. NASA has significantly improved the schedule of appearances by different aircraft this year. As of the beginning of July, six other demonstrations have been confirmed. (7/15)

Air Force Week Planned in Los Angeles on Nov. 14-21 (Source: CSA)

Air Force Week Los Angeles will take place in the greater Los Angeles with numerous large and small events planned throughout the week. The week will begin with a proclamation event at the Hollywood and Highland Plaza that will feature celebrity appearances, music, and displays by America's Air Force. The week will culminate with an air show with a performance by the Air Force Thunderbirds. Other events planned during the week include an Expo at Hollywood and Highland, the Air Force Film Festival, The Night Of The Stars Party at Griffith Observatory, The Hollywood Canteen Airmen's Party, and many other exciting activities. Visit http://www.airforceweeklosangeles.com for information. (7/25)

California Aerospace Events Calendar

ITAR Seminar Planned in Hawthorne/Manhattan Beach on July 30

This seminar will provide an overview of U.S. export controls focusing on the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Speakers will detail key issues related to ITAR regulations and the increased enforcement of trade policies. Topics of discussion will include changes & trends at the State Department, D-trade, third country/dual nationals, best practices on how to successfully navigate the ITAR minefield, and much more. The July 30 event will be held in Hawthorne/Manhattan Beach, California. Visit http://www.buyusa.gov/westlosangeles/itar.html for information and registration.

2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge Planned at CalPoly on Aug. 2-3

CSA is sponsoring the Regolith Excavation Challenge on August 2-3, 2008, on the campus of California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo. Visit http://regolith.csewi.org/

Two Teacher Workshops Planned on Aug. 11-14

The U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Defense Education Activity are sponsoring a free Teacher-to-Teacher Initiative workshop on the Marine Corps Base in Twentynine Palms, Calif. This workshop provides opportunities to learn reading and math strategies from prominent teachers and district officials who will share research-based practices they have successfully applied in their schools and classrooms. This event will be held on Aug. 11-12. Visit https://www.t2tweb.us/Workshops/EventInfo.asp?EventID=88 for information.

A second workshop is planned for Aug. 13-14 in Los Angeles by the Office of Charter Schools at the U.S. Department of Education and the California Charter Schools Association. This free Teacher-to-Teacher Initiative workshop will be held at the Pacific Palisades Charter High School in Pacific Palisades. This workshop provides opportunities to learn reading, science, history and math strategies from prominent teachers and district officials who will share research-based practices they have successfully applied in their schools and classrooms. Visit https://www.t2tweb.us/Workshops/EventInfo.asp?EventID=87 for information.

UC Santa Barbara Plans Outreach Event on Aug. 14

Join the College of Engineering and Science Departments and various research focused companies on August 14 from 2:00 - 4:00 pm to find out how to make the most of UC Santa Barbara's world class research and students. RSVP to Jan Adelson at 805-893-4602 or mailto:jadelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Navy Gold Coast Conference Planned on August 27-28

The San Diego Chapter of NDIA (National Defense Industrial Association) is proud to present the 2008 "Navy Small Business Opportunity Conference." It has also come to be known as simply the "Gold Coast" Conference. The Navy Co-Sponsors of this event are NAVSEA, NAVAIR, SPAWAR, NAVSUP, NAVFAC and the Navy's Office of Small Business Programs. Visit http://2008goldcoast.ndia-sd.org for information.

AIAA Space 2008 Conference & Exposition Planned in San Diego Sep. 9-11

The San Diego Convention Center will host Space 2008 on Sep. 9-11. This AIAA sponsored event will focus on space as an underpinning our commercial, civil, and military sectors. Three of the top issues in the upcoming election—-economic competitiveness, the global war on terror, and the need for increased global climate change monitoring—-are all dependent on our technological and operational achievements in space. Visit http://www.aiaa.org for information.

APSCC 2008 Satellite Conference & Exhibition Planned in Korea on Sept. 22-25

The satellite industry's premier conference for business and networking opportunities in Asia is planned for September 22-25 at the Hotel Lotte, Jeju, Korea. To register visit http://www.apscc.or.kr/event/apscc2008.asp. Registration Discount to CSA Members!

Space Angels Network Issues a Call for Applicant Companies for Sep. 26 Event

Space Angels Network, LLC, a national network of seed- and early-stage investors focused on aerospace-related ventures, has issued a Call for Applicant Companies to its first Aerospace Venture Forum to be held in Los Angeles on September 26, 2008. The Forum will be a full-day event that showcases promising aerospace ventures and allows entrepreneurs to present their investment opportunities to an exclusive audience of active accredited investors. Visit http://www.spaceangelsnetwork.com for information.

Supplier Transformation Forum Set for Oct. 7

The third annual Supplier Transformation Forum is planned on Oct. 7. The event will feature multiple prime contractors, government agencies and all levels of the supply chain, at Northrop Grumman's facility in Redondo Beach. This forum will include updated information from last year's forum and have a similar format. Last year's agenda is available at http://www.innovatecalifornia.net/2_2_forum_details/ along with some of the presentations and video. Save the date for this year's forum!

AEi Systems 2008 WCCA Workshop Planned in Los Angeles on Nov. 13-14

A two-day intensive Worst Case Circuit Analysis Training Workshop will focuses on the fundamental skills required to perform a WCCA. Seats are limited. For additional information visit www.aeng.com/wccaclass.asp or call 310-216-1144.

Air Force Week in Los Angeles November 14-21

A number of events are planned throughout Los Angeles County showcasing the Air Force.  The Air Force Week program is part of a proactive initiative to increase communication with the public. Each Air Force week may include community visits and talks by Air Force officials, flight demonstration team performances and displays providing an up close and personal look at the Air Force men and women serving on the front lines. For a complete schedule of events visit: http://www.losangeles.af.mil/airforceweekinla.asp

California Space Enterprise SpotBeam Awards Dinner Planned Nov. 19
The California Space Authority is now accepting nominations from its members and partners for this year's California Space Enterprise SpotBeam Awards. The SpotBeam Awards dinner is scheduled for November 19 in Los Angeles. Visit http://www.californiaspaceauthority.org/awards.html for information.

California Space Authority (CSA) Annual Membership Meeting Planned for December 4

3:30 pm - 5:00 pm at The Sheraton Gateway LAX in the California Room. Join us for cocktails and appetizers while networking with the CSA Board of Directors and fellow CSA members.  The Annual Membership Meeting is hosted by CSA. RSVP to mailto:Elizabeth.Burkhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last Week’s DOD Contract Awards in California

Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) of McLean, Va.; MacAulay Brown, Inc. (MacB) of Dayton, Ohio; Client/Server Software Solutions, Inc. (CSSS.NET) of Bellevue, Neb.; ITT Corp., Advanced Engineering & Sciences Div (ITT AES) of Herndon, Va.; Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) of San Diego, Calif.; and CACI Technologies, Inc. of Chantilly, Va., are being awarded an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity (ID/IQ) contract for a maximum of $900 million. The six multiple award ID/IQ contracts are for Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS) in support of USSTRATCOM to provide support for necessary information and advice, opinions, alternatives, analyses, evaluations, recommendations, training and engineering services. The six contracts will have shared capacity of $900 million (maximum) to include the base year and four option years for all contracts combined. At this time no funds have been obligated (obligations will be via task orders). 55th Contracting Squadron, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., is the contracting activity.

The Air Force is modifying a cost plus award fee contract with TYBRIN Corp., of Fort Walton Beach, Fla., for an estimated $11,249,014. This contract modification provides systems engineering and technical assistance support for a variety of research, test and evaluation, and training programs at the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC) Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. The types of support include requirements definition, engineering management, risk reduction, developmental engineering, verification and validation, technical analysis, master planning, program management support, and acquisition management support. At this time $3,017,855 has been obligated. AFFTC/PKTJ, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., is the contracting activity.

Straub Construction, Bonsall Calif., is being awarded $21,445,000 for firm-fixed-price design-build task order #0002 under previously awarded contract (N62473-08-D-8610) for site preparation and interim facilities, at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif. The total task order amount is not to exceed $48,739,188 (base item and seven options). Work will be performed in Twentynine Palms, Calif., and is expected to be completed by August 2010. Contract funds will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This task order was competitively procured under the Commercial and Institutional Building Multiple Award Construction Contract (N62473-07-D-2002) and five proposals were received. The Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest, San Diego, Calif., is the contracting activity.

Harper Construction Co., Inc., San Diego, Calif., is being awarded $20,477,265 for firm-fixed price task order #0006 under a previously awarded multiple award construction contract (N62473-06-D-1056) to design and build Bachelor Enlisted Quarters at Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz.   The Bachelor Enlisted Quarters Building comprises 150 rooms with semi-private bathrooms in the standard 2x0 configuration and telecommunications room. The contractor shall provide all labor, supervision, engineering, materials, equipment, tools, parts, supplies and transportation to perform all work described in the specifications. Work will be performed in Yuma, Ariz., and is expected to be completed January 2010. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. Four proposals were received for this task order. The Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southwest, San Diego, Calif., is the contracting activity.

Dimensions Construction, Inc., San Diego, Calif.; Allen Engineering Contractor, Inc., San Bernardino, Calif.; RMA Land Construction, Inc., Brea, Calif.; Candalaria JV LLC., Glendale, Ariz.; Marcon Engineering, Inc., Escondido, Calif.; RQ-Brady JV 01  San Diego, Cailf.; I.E.-Pacific, Inc., San Diego, Calif.; Patricia I. Romero Inc., dba Pacific West Builders, San Diego, Calif., and Hal Hay Construction, Inc. Riverside, Calif., are each being awarded a not to exceed $100,000,000 8(a) set-aside firm-fixed-price multiple award, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity multiple award construction contract for new construction and renovation of general building construction at various locations within the Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Southwest area of responsibility including but not limited to Southern California, Arizona, and New Mexico. The $100,000,000 (with guaranteed minimum of $5,000) is for all contracts combined - base period and four option years. The work is for the design, construction, supervision, equipment, materials, labor, and all means necessary to provide complete and usable facilities at various locations. Work will be performed at various Navy and Marine Corps installations within the NAVFAC Southwest Area of Responsibility including, but not limited to Calif., (82 percent), Ariz., (16 percent), and N.M., (two percent). The terms of the contracts are not to exceed 60 months, with an expected completion date of Jul. 2013. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was competitively procured as a set-aside for eight (a) Small Businesses via the NAVFAC e-solicitation website, with 77 proposals solicited, and 28 offers received. These nine contractors listed may compete for task orders under the terms and conditions of the awarded contract. The Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest, San Diego, Calif., is the contracting activity.

Associates for International Research Inc., Engineering Services LLC, of Annapolis, Md.; Boeing Support Systems of Fort Walton Beach, Fla.; DRS Technical Services of Herndon, Va. and Calverton, Md.; L-3 Communications TCS (3 Com) of Warner Robins, Ga.; Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems of Warner Robins, Ga.; MacAulay-Brown, Inc., of Dayton, Ohio; MTC Technologies (now BAE Systems Science and Technology, Inc.) of Dayton, Ohio; Northrop Grumman Technical Services Inc., of Herndon, Va.; Raytheon Technical Service Co., Customized Engineering Depot Support, of Indianapolis, Ind.; Science Applications International Corp., of San Diego, Calif.; Scientific Research Corporation of Atlanta, Ga.; Support Systems Associates, Inc., of Melbourne, Fla., are being awarded an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity contract for a maximum of $6.9 billion. This action will provide for potential requirements to include modifications, development, repairs, and limited, critical or contingency spares for all Air Force managed weapons systems.  At this time a minimum of $5,000 for each contractor has been obligated.

General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems, Inc. Fairfax, Va., is being awarded a $9,733,571 cost-plus-fixed-fee research and development delivery order #0004 under a previously awarded indefinite-quantity/indefinite-delivery contract (N00014-05-D-0508) for the development of a Digital Array Radar. Work will be performed in contractor facilities at General Dynamics, Fairfax, Va., (79 percent); REMEC Defense and Space, San Diego, Calif., (18 percent); and Shenandoah Solutions, Red Lodge, Mont., (3 percent), and work is expected to be completed Jan. 2014. Contract funds will not expire at end of current fiscal year. The Office of Naval Research, Arlington, Va., is the contacting activity.

Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands, Calif., was awarded on Jul. 18, 2008, a $7,914,778 cost-plus-fixed fee contract for the development of a prototype to address data fusion within a geospatial environment.  Work will be performed in Redlands, Calif., and is expected to be completed by Jul. 18, 2010.  Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.  One bid was solicited on Dec. 6, 2007.  The National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, Reston, Va., is the contracting activity.

Dultra Dredging Co., San Rafael, Calif., was awarded on Jul. 17, 2008, a $7,486,000 firm-fixed price contract for navigation improvements and construction of a rock breakwater, along with dredging, artificial reefs, and a boat launch ramp.  Work will be performed in Unalaska, Ala., and is expected to be completed by Feb. 28, 2010.  Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.  Web bids were solicited on May 6, 2008, and three bids were received.  U.S. Army Engineer District, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Ala., is the contracting activity.

ViaSat Inc. - Carlsbad, California 92009-1699 was awarded a modification to firm fixed-price contract HC1047-07-C-0013, in the amount of $9,318,382.00 for Integrated Waveform (IW) Phase II effort on July 21, 2008. The period of performance is July 21, 2008 through November 20, 2010 and includes a base period of 16 months and an option period of 12 months. Performance will be at ViaSat's facility in Carlsbad, California. The solicitation was issued as an "only one responsible source and no other supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements" justification and approval process pursuant to FAR 6.302-1. ViaSat Inc. - Carlsbad, California is a large business. The Defense Information Technology Contracting Office - National Capital Region (DITCO-NCR) is the contracting activity.

Compiled for the California Space Authority by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Edward Ellegood

--
Jamie Foster, COO, California Space Authority (CSA)
http://www.CaliforniaSpaceAuthority.org/