[cs_edworkers] NYCoRE proposal, title musings

  • From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:03:19 -0500

It looks like comrades want to go with the NOLA talk, broadened out on the
national question of charters, as Charlie has suggested. A couple points
on formulating: I was thinking, maybe Portia would agree to chair it, and
Mia could present briefly on NYC charters, as they have invaded her Lower
East Side middle school building with a charter. I can see if we can get
Jay Arena, if comrades agree.

On the title, two points:

Every time we get a crowd at NYCoRE, it's because we mention the word
Marxism. That seems to draw the political crowd.

So I'm thinking about the 8-words they allow for the title of a workshop in
the conference book (stretch to 15 with a sub head) --this is what
participants look at to see what workshops they want to attend. What if we
did something like "Marxism and Education: From New Orleans to Chicago to
NYC, the Fight Against Privatization and Charterization."

As a second point, Jan raised, and I think it's valid, that we shouldn't
use the term "disaster capitalism" as it stems from Naomi Klein's subtitle
in her book, which is known as being the bible of the populists and
reformists, and has an Occupyish connotation. I think that's right,
although I didn't know until he raised it that the phrase "disaster
capitalism" was actually a thing, or actually a known expression.