[cs_edworkers] Marxism and Education Series --- Friday March 6

  • From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, UFTerstoStoptheWar <UFTerstoStoptheWar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NYCoREUpdates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <NYcoreupdates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:17:32 -0500

The next session of the Marxism and Education Discussion Series will
be on *Friday
March 6, from 4:30 to 6:30pm *at the CUNY grad center (pending
confirmation).

If you missed Session 1, you can still come.

*Readings*:
For Session 2, we decided to read Engels, *The Origins of the Family,
Private Property and the State.*   Charlie has agreed to present, and he
will give us suggested excerpted pages for the next class.

I am now in possession of 4 new copies of the 1972 International Publishers
edition with the important introduction by Eleanor Burke Leacock. These are
$10 and will go to the first 4 people who contact me.

This same  edition with the Leacock introduction is also available on
Amazon for as little as $0.01 + $3.99 postage.  The Leacock introduction is
on line at

 http://www.marxistschool.org/classdocs/LeacockIntro.pdf

*Origins* has been controversial, as it was based on the research of the
early anthropologist Lewis P Morgan. But as Charlie notes, *Origins* is
critical for a Marxist understanding of the state and Lenin's understanding
of the irreconcilability of class interests. For educators, it has
particular relevance in its focus on the family as the initial unit of
socialization.

So it should be an exciting series.

*Class Time*
Most people indicated Friday was their best day, hence Friday March 6. That
could be changed for future meetings.  I'd hoped for an earlier date, but
this was the first Friday we could sign up for at the Grad Center.

This series is initiated by Class Struggle Education Workers. We
are active in the UFT, CUNY PSC, and other unions with education
workers.

cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://edworkersunite.blogspot.com