[cs_edworkers] Re: Can anybody go to this? 1 pm Speak-Out Against Teach for America

  • From: "Charlie Brover" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cbrover@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:56:34 +0000 (UTC)

Sorry, can't make it. cb
      From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
 To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:42 PM
 Subject: [cs_edworkers] Can anybody go to this? 1 pm Speak-Out Against Teach
for America

Dan Bergerson, who came to our last Marxism and Edu discussion, sent this
along.  I'm teaching  so I can't go, but if anybody's free to go up to Columbia
and represent us, it would be important solidarity.  I'm attaching his group's
flierFrom Dan:"Join students, alumni, and educators for a speak-out at 1pm on
Friday, February 27th in front of Low Library on Columbia's Morningside Heights
campus. We will be hearing from teacher educators and teachers who have had
negative experiences with TFA. If would like to add your voice but can't
attend, send me a short personal narrative. One of us undergraduates can read
it aloud for you.For more details, see the attached flyer."
Daniel Bergersondanielbergerson@gmail.com__._,_.___
My comment:For the first time, students and teachers are organizing to stop the
insidious TFA.  As a sign of the times, FA is already having big trouble
recruiting in NYC, as their notorious rep becomes known.Teach for America is a
union-busting, privatizing outfit, that recruits (mostly white) recent
graduates from (elite) college campuses, gives them a couple months training
and drops them in inner city schools for two-year stints (whereupon they'll pad
their resumes with how they "made a difference" and "go on" to their real jobs
of lawyers, petty capitalists etc..)  They embody the corporate plans to
destroy teacher seniority,and undercut the recruitment of black and Latino
teachers,which has been an important outcome of the civil rights movement and
the opening up of public universities like CUNY,   And if TFA its bad for
teachers, it's worse for kids.

1 of 1 File(s)
     Speak-Out for Education Justice flyer