[cryptome] Re: the nda and privacy tools

  • From: Jeremy Compton <j.compton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 00:25:46 +1200

My country is in one of the five eyes or the five power defence arrangement
which if l remember happens to include Intelligence. Our Prime Minister John
Key who is the Minister of our Intelligence community would off course not say
anything about the five eyes. My understanding is that it is a joint
intelligence sharing programme.

I think many New Zealanders are kind of interested but it is rather toned down
in the New Zealand news media, yes we hear about top officials comming here but
that is about it. Its pretty much ho hum here. Yes we know what Waihopi does,
it intercepts the foreign communications in our part of the world. As does that
other 4 powers who do the same for their parts of the world.
Do you remember the kur fufle over the Australian govt listening in on the
former Indonesian leaders wife a no of years ago, because she was a shaker and
mover or at least a potential one so the Australian govt wanted to be well
informed on this one.
Well, when the government found out about this they were very unhappy publicly.
There was a very public falling out between the Indonesian and Australian
governments over this very issue. It is well know that governments spy on each
other that is not new, but the Aussie's got caught in public doing it.  This
was using Australia's intelligence resources to know what their neighbours are
up to.

Jeremy

Ps, this sounds similar to article l just posted

Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 13:09:58 +0100
From: capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx
To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cryptome] the nda and privacy tools

    Some of you may have seen this article already

    but as the article points out. if your in one of "five eyes" you
    might be safe.....but imho don't even count on that.

    with that caveat in place. follow the rabbit below..

    --
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/03/use-or-look-at-online-privacy-tools-nsa-labels-you-an-extremist.html

       PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION