[cryptome] What top pediatricians want you to know about the delta variant and children

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 12:32:37 +0100

see url: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/what-top-pediatricians-want-you-know-about-delta-variant-children-n1274536

see full story...

Quote<<<

A nationwide increase in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations fueled by the highly contagious delta variant, which now accounts for the vast majority of infections, worries many about the most vulnerable as restrictions are being lifted.

Among them, parents of young children who aren't yet eligible for the coronavirus vaccines wonder what the delta variant means for their families.

The delta variant now accounts for more than 83 percent of Covid-19 cases, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday. Just a month ago, the variant accounted for just over 30 percent of new cases.

And on Monday, the American Academy of Pediatrics, or AAP, recommended that all children over age 2 wear masks when they return to school this year, regardless of vaccination status. That contradicted the CDC's earlier guidance, which was that fully vaccinated students didn't need masks. Covid-19 vaccines have been authorized only for people ages 12 and up in the U.S.

As parents have been preparing for camp, vacations and the school year ahead, families are concerned about how safe their summer or fall plans may be for their kids.

Here's what top pediatricians said about what families should know about the delta variant and children.

What steps can I take to protect my family?

Emergency use authorization of vaccines for children may not come until midwinter, a Food and Drug Administration official said recently.

Dr. Jim Versalovic, the pathologist-in-chief and interim pediatrician-in-chief at Texas Children's Hospital, said: "This variant is spreading like wildfire. That means that we have to be extra careful among those who are unvaccinated and partially vaccinated. We're very concerned about children under 12 who have no access to the vaccine right now."

Versalovic said doctors had seen a "very dramatic shift" in the last two to three weeks to where delta is now "by far the most d