[cryptome] ‘We are on the verge of eating each other’: South Africans reel from riots

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:10:05 +0100

see url: https://www.ft.com/content/5d1b9604-8b39-41f0-8d7c-fee2948d6fcf

see full story...Even the police are participating in the looting!  Didn't get quite that bad in the USA during the recent summer riots...still police in the US get very high wages, the South African police get not a lot...

Quote<<<

    As South Africa’s worst public violence in decades swept Johannesburg and its biggest township this week, Nhlanhla Lux was ready to defend the shopping centre he called Soweto’s “last elephant” with his life.

Clad in camouflage and armed with a pistol, the 33-year-old community leader guarded the closed gates of Soweto’s Maponya Mall with a handful of police and soldiers on Wednesday, a last line of defence against rioting that has left more than 70 dead and devastated Africa’s most industrialised economy. Two hundred other malls like Maponya have been looted in affected areas, according to business leaders.

“We can’t sit back while the township economy dilapidates further,” said Lux. “The biggest mall, that employs the biggest number of people, is the one left standing. If it falls, it’s the last elephant.”

In the past few days, South Africa has come closer to social breakdown than at any point since the end of apartheid almost three decades ago. Such scenes of violence have “rarely [been] seen before in the history of our democracy”, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Monday. For Lux, it is clear what is at stake. “I for one am prepared to die” to halt the unrest, he said. “We are on the verge of eating each other.”
Plumes of smoke seen outside a shopping centre in Durban as a barricade burns