[cryptome] Re: Urea at NSA Utah Data Center

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:36:36 -0500

What is a Urea Tank?

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5643207_urea-tank_.html

Urea uses (Wikipedia links)

*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Agriculture> 4.1 Agriculture
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Chemical_industry> 4.2 Chemical
industry
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Explosive> 4.3 Explosive
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Automobile_systems> 4.4
Automobile systems
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Other_commercial_uses> 4.5
Other commercial uses
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Laboratory_uses> 4.6 Laboratory
uses
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Medical_use> 4.7 Medical use
*        <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea#Analysis> 4.8 Analysis

Most likely:

*        Urea is a pollution by-product of diesel engines, so if diesel is
used at NSA-Utah, these tanks collect that, and the size of the tanks are a
clue to how much diesel is used, compared say to the tanks in diesel
vehicles.  What might a data center be using diesel for?  One obvious, to
me, is stand-by power supply electric generators, if there is an extended
loss of electricity in very bad weather, or other regional disaster.  Many
computer users are familiar with Universal Power Supply, but they depend on
batteries whose life is not designed for more than a few hours without
public utility power.

*        http://www.ehow.com/facts_6809075_urea-used-diesel-engines_.html

*        Green energy

*        Instrumentation

It is also possible that there is some acronym with the letters UREA.

Many years ago, I do not know if still true, some data processing equipment
in the mainframe world, used to be cooled by some liquid.  All that I have
worked with was cooled by air.

Hazards

MSDS sheet on <http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Urea-9927317>  urea

Alister William Macintyre