[cryptome] How we celebrate the Fourth of July

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 21:46:23 +0100

see url: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/02/how-you-celebrate-the-fourth-of-july/?itid=hp-banner-low

see full report...

Quote<<<

About US is an initiative by The Washington Post to explore issues of identity in the United States. Sign up for the newsletter.

The tradition of celebrating Independence Day in America holds roots in the days following the Continental Congress formally adopting the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. A few days later, bands played and bells rang as public readings took place in Philadelphia’s Independence Square.

For many people, this year’s celebrations will echo the tunes of decades past: gatherings with music and friends and food and fireworks, all in honor of American freedoms and pride. For many others, however, the day doesn’t hold the same meaning — it is not a symbol of freedom. It never was.

Frederick Douglass, speaking at a commemorative event for the Declaration of Independence on July 5, 1852, offered a sentiment that still resonates with some Americans today: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim.”

Last month, Congress passed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act and President Biden signed the bill into law, formally adding June 19, the day in 1865 when slavery ended in Texas, to the roster of nationally recognized holidays. Although many White Americans weren’t familiar with the day, or its significance, until last year’s racial reckoning after the killing of George Floyd, many Black Americans have long celebrated Juneteenth and some have incorporated its traditions into their Fourth of July observances.

What is Juneteenth?