[cryptome] History of Hot

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:39:39 +0100

see url: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

see full article...If you think it aint half hot mum...then read the full article for a bit more knowledge about how hot the planet has gotten in its history....Long before human beings got around to playing on it and at it...Two swallows don't make a summer...and whilst human activity may be having some influence on the planets climate, there are far larger and longer term forces at work, all of them outside of human control; such as changes in the Earth's spin, gravitational forces, the Sun and Sunspots, the Solar Wind...volcanic eruptions, earthquakes to name but a few.

In my view, it is a good idea to become more aware of these changes, increasing our knowledge of our planet and the universe; and it is a good idea for the preservation of the species to try not to pollute the planet as much as possible and to find and use ecological sources of energy and become more efficient in using those sources...but as for human beings changing the world...We have a long way to go yet...Mind you...the way the military technology is going, we might just get round to blowing up the planet altogether in attempts to resolve international conflicts between nation states...such is the contrariness of human nature and folly...😉 Still, the human species is only about 5 million years old, and many species have come and gone on planet earth during its 5 billion year existence, so us humans are but little specs on the planetary landscape in terms of both size and time...and the planet doesn't owe us a living...We have to go or change sometime, its the consequence of evolution

Quote<<<

This article was first published in August 2014, and it has been updated to include new research published since then. This article is one of a two-part series on past temperatures, including how warm the Earth has been “lately.”

Our 4.54-billion-year-old planet probably experienced its hottest temperatures in its earliest days, when it was still colliding with other rocky debris (planetesimals) careening around the solar system. The heat of these collisions would have kept Earth molten, with top-of-the-atmosphere temperatures upward of 3,600° Fahrenheit.

Even after those first scorching millennia, however, the planet has often been much warmer than it is now. One of the warmest times was during the geologic period known as the Neoproterozoic, between 600 and 800 million years ago. Conditions were also frequently sweltering between 500 million and 250 million years ago. And within the last 100 million years, two major heat spikes occurred: the Cretaceous Hot Greenhouse (about 92 million years ago), and the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (about 56 million years ago).

Cartoon by Emily Greenhalgh, NOAA Climate.gov.
History of hot

Temperature records from thermometers and weather stations exist only for a tiny portion of our planet's 4.54-billion-year-long life. By studying indirect clues—the chemical and structural signatures of rocks, fossils, and crystals, ocean sediments, fossilized reefs, tree rings, and ice cores—however, scientists can infer past temperatures.

None of these techniques help with the very early Earth. During the time known as the Hadean (yes, because it was like Hades), Earth’s collisions with other large planetesimals in our young solar system—including a Mars-sized one whose impact with Earth likely created the Moon—would have melted and vaporized most rock at the surface. Because no rocks on Earth have survived from so long ago, scientists have estimated early Earth conditions based on observations of the Moon and on astronomical models. Following the collision that spawned the Moon, the planet was estimated to have been around 2,300 Kelvin (3,680°F).

What the collision that spawned Earth's Moon may have looked like. Collisions between Earth and rocky debris in the early solar system would have kept the surface molten and surface temperatures blistering. Image courtesy NASA.

Even after collisions stopped, and the planet had tens of millions of years to cool, surface temperatures were likely more than 400° Fahrenheit. Zircon crystals from Australia, only about 150 million years younger than the Earth itself, hint that our planet may have cooled faster than scientists previously thought. Still, in its infancy, Earth would have experienced temperatures far higher than we humans could possibly survive.

But suppose we exclude the violent and scorching years when Earth first formed. When else has Earth’s surface sweltered?
Thawing the freezer

Between 600 and 800 million years ago—a period of time geologists call the Neoproterozoic—evidence suggests the Earth underwent an ice age so cold that ice sheets not only capped the polar latitudes, but may have extended all the way to sea level near the equator. Reflecting ever more sunlight back into space as they expanded, the ice sheets cooled the climate and reinforced their own growth. Obviously, the Earth didn’t remain stuck in the freezer, so how did the planet thaw?