[cryptome] Gaslighting, lies and deception’: How Amazon busted a historic union effort in Alabama

  • From: douglasrankine <douglasrankine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:39:17 +0100

see url: https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/us/amazon-alabama-union-busting-vote-b1829340.html

see full report...  Memories, memories, memories...It took me (and a small group of others) 7 years to get the union recognised in a company for which I worked, way back in the 1980s...If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again...😉  All that trouble and all that aggro and all that soul searching.  The company disappeared a few years after I was passed on involuntarily, to pastures new...nuffink to do with me or the union, market forces, takeovers and changes in television technology brought about a huge change...increased reliability and smaller prices mean that fewer television engineers were required...and wages became a lot lower due to de-skilling. Moving on is all part of the game nowadays...no job lasts very long and the increased sophistication of computer technology along with cheaper costs of production is killing many a skilled job and lowering standards of wages and conditions in IT these days...

Quote<<<

For a while, at least, it was a David vs Goliath battle.

Workers at a warehouse in Bessemer, Alabama, chose to take on one of the biggest companies in the world and form a union. If they were successful, they would be the first in the company’s history. The potential for similar efforts in thousands of warehouses across the country would have risen dramatically. Amazon, America’s second-largest employer, would have been forced to contemplate an entirely new relationship with its gigantic workforce.

When the results were in, however, the analogy broke down. Goliath had won. By Friday morning, the “no” vote on the question of whether to form a union had secured a majority.