[cryptome] Europe,Sweden faces political uncertainty as PM Lofven ousted by parliament

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:16:09 +0100

see url: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/swedish-pm-brink-parliament-readies-monday-no-confidence-vote-2021-06-21/

see full report...

Quote<<<

 Swedish centre-left Prime Minister Stefan Lofven was ousted in a no-confidence vote in parliament on Monday, plunging the country into deep political uncertainty as it tackles the COVID-19 pandemic.

Lofven, who was defeated after nearly seven years in power over a plan to ease rent controls for new-build apartments, now has a week to resign and hand the speaker the job of finding a new government, or call a snap election.

With parliament deadlocked and opinion polls showing centre-right and centre-left blocs evenly balanced, the political crisis may not be resolved quickly, though economists say this would be unlikely to have a big impact on the economy.

"The government now has a week to decide and we will hold talks with our cooperation parties," Lovfen told a news conference after the vote.

"It is what is best for the country that is important. We will work as fast as we can."

The nationalist Sweden Democrats called the vote after the formerly communist Left Party withdrew support for the led by Lofven's Social Democrats over the rent control reforms, an important issue for many voters. read more

The no-confidence motion, which required 175 votes in the 349-seat parliament to pass, was supported by 181 lawmakers.